Jesse's turbo B3 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse's turbo B3 Build

Started this project lowering the car as much as I could with the wheels that I have currently. ( 15x6 ... 5" backspace ... 195/50/15 ) Did a write up on the new rim detail here.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27259 This evolved clearancing inner fender wells front and rear, and making a set of flares for the front. Flare write up detailed here.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28207 Clearanced the rear inners up to the main structure of the strut support. Didn't get a pic of this but if you take out your tail light and look into that area you can easily see what would have to be removed. This work allowed me to get this...

(If your wandering about the side skirts...they will be detailed later)

The inner fender was then rebuilt with fiberglass.

The fronts are next and a little more involved. On the front the problem lies with the tires hitting the inner wheel well at lock to lock. To remedy this I removed the offending material.

Passenger side engine bay...

Drivers side inside cabin.....

Obviously it's the same on both side, I just don't have those pics. For the cabin side I put 1/2" worth of shop rags on the wheel ( which remember is in max bury mode ) covered that with a plastic bag, and turned the wheel into the locked position. Then covered the whole thing with 3 layers of fiberglass to seal it back up. Once the glass set, I removed the bag and rags and the end result is ...Clearance

Passenger side cabin...

Drivers side cabin ( No wheel on with light coming thru fiberglass )

On the engine bay side of things I thought it would look better to patch in with metal.

Don't worry this galvanized patch gets paint..

Up next is suspension.....!
    ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

tight

Originally posted by jmye1524 View Post
    Started this project lowering the car as much as I could with the wheels that I have currently. ( 15x6 ... 5" backspace ... 195/50/15 ) Did a write up on the new rim detail here.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27259 This evolved clearancing inner fender wells front and rear, and making a set of flares for the front. Flare write up detailed here.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28207 Clearanced the rear inners up to the main structure of the strut support. Didn't get a pic of this but if you take out your tail light and look into that area you can easily see what would have to be removed. This work allowed me to get this...

(If your wandering about the side skirts...they will be detailed later)

The inner fender was then rebuilt with fiberglass.

The fronts are next and a little more involved. On the front the problem lies with the tires hitting the inner wheel well at lock to lock. To remedy this I removed the offending material.

Passenger side engine bay...

Drivers side inside cabin.....

Obviously it's the same on both side, I just don't have those pics. For the cabin side I put 1/2" worth of shop rags on the wheel ( which remember is in max bury mode ) covered that with a plastic bag, and turned the wheel into the locked position. Then covered the whole thing with 3 layers of fiberglass to seal it back up. Once the glass set, I removed the bag and rags and the end result is ...Clearance

Passenger side cabin...

Drivers side cabin ( No wheel on with light coming thru fiberglass )

On the engine bay side of things I thought it would look better to patch in with metal.

Don't worry this galvanized patch gets paint..

Up next is suspension.....!
    this looks reall good. i should do this to my black one.

Comment

you do realize that the "inner fenders" you cut into are a structural member of the unibody, don't you?
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

i would be adding some braces while you have everything out... but other than that it looks SWEET!!! cant wait to see how low it goes...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          i would be adding some braces while you have everything out... but other than that it looks SWEET!!! cant wait to see how low it goes...
          tred calling your number. i will be in bellingham at 9. tiger

Comment

^?

I previously cut the stock springs to the maximum drop I could get at the time. Lowered but with a livable spring rate. Not wanting to change the spring, had to come up with a way to take advantage of my new found room. This was done by raising the top spring perch in the back, and lowering the bottom spring perch on the front strut.

Top of rear spring perch cut....

Piece of 14ga (1.5" wide )rolled up to fit, and welded in. Dido on other side with matching hole cut in plastic cover to finish it off.

On the front strut the bottom perch is off centered with the fat side near the tire. In order to lower this and clear the tire/wheel I cut it loose and turned it 180*, then dropped it to sit on the brake line bracket. This drops it approx. 2" and gives you a place to weld to. There is a support piece I put in on the opposite side of the bracket that transfers the weight to the base of the strut and also allowed me to weld to something other than the strut body. ( Do not weld to gas charged strut body )

The side skirts were mocked up in cardboard then transferred to metal. After welding together and then onto the car, I molded them in with filler.

You may have noticed the motor is out........work on it is next

........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

just wondering..... what did you do to engine?
              PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

The B3 carby has 165000 miles on it , burns oil pretty bad and leaves spots in the drive. Definatly in need of some attention. While in teardown mode realized that the head was not going to work again. ( could barley get the cam out ) Picked up an EFI head from a member. After a couple days porting and opening everything up so it could breath better it was ready for a valve job and decking.( The cranks also going in for polishing )

Before sending everything to the machine shop did some clean up on the block as well.

While that stuff was at the shop ordered some new parts for the assembly. Bearings, rings, freeze plugs, oil pump, gasket kit ect...ect...ect. In the mean time made a windage tray and prepared for assembly.

At the machine shop everything was tanked so paint was in order before install.

Next on the list is intake manifold and carb.......

Comment

that looks better than new great job !!!

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

That engine is very nicely done. Hopefully she will be a runner for you. Keep up the good work.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Dude that head looks awesome you did what i wanted to do to it that why i pulled it all apart. glad it working for you.

Comment

The engine looks great.drool
                        '90 LX

Comment

most epic baffle EVARRR!!!!

Comment

Nice valves!
                            PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Nice work....
                              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Working...
                              X