Project Phoenix MR KL Pre-build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Phoenix MR KL Pre-build

So, since I've done some work and taken some pics, here's what happening with my Festiva build.

My MX-6 had the alternator go. Might've been the oil spewing out of the (I believe) front main seal that caused it to go. Either way, the car had it's final breath, and it was always destined to be a donor car anyways.

In progress of pulling parts:

Engine out:

Front of engine covered in oil:

Parts saved:

Ready for operation before getting scrapped:

Pulling the engine did a bit of damage, and I will be using this part in my build as you will see:

Tomorrow I will be basically cutting the front off the car off. It will find it's home (with a tiny bit of modification) in the hatch of my Festiva. This will give me all the mount points for the engine, tranny, and suspension which I will use on the Festiva. The track width is significantly wider, but according to my measurements, the fender flares I'm getting will fit the tyres quite nicely.

More pics to come.

Rear engine rwd, cool.
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

More more more more pics!!!! mid engine kl! I like it!
      -Josh R

Comment

It's about time someone else on here starts playin with KL's haha but since you're throwing it in the back I can still say I'm the only 2.5 FWD out there :evil4:

What timeline do you have planned for surgery?

I'll be watching this build

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I will keep my fingers crossed that your imagination does not exceed your ability. I'm thinking you may as well leave the old motor up front as a spare (and maybe to run a cooling fan) until such time that you know everything works. Plus you might need some ballast up there if this crazy thing does light up and go down the road straight.

There will be more than a few of us keeping an eye out on this one.

Comment

Well, for a timeline...hmmm I'll figure that one out yet. The B6T car HAS to be done by spring, so I'll be doing a bit here and their until then. At that point I'll be making more progress on this one. I've also gotta do a few things to my B6ZE Festi I'm getting off my roommate. I'll get a thread for that one too. It's a pretty cool Festiva.

As for the old engine up front, well, that's long gone. I'll post some pics of the actual Festiva up soon, you'll see why. lol

Comment

And so I have my engine/suspension cradle! Some assembly required... :p
              Weapon of choice? Angle grinder. lol Okay, the only choice I had available. It worked quite well, although I used 4 large cutting discs.

I will be trimming this down from what it is now and the will assemble the cross-members and suspension to get accuracy in making measurements before I start cutting into my Festiva.

Comment

lookin good!!! cant wait to see it all done

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Interesting. I'll be following!
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts
                  Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

SWEEET! Watching.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Sorry about my absence. I'm now living across country from my project. I'll be back for it when I can. It will be coming with me to Ontario, but for now, I've left it in BC while moving. I have no intention of giving up on my project just because I've got to trailer it 5000 km's. haha

My plan when I visit back in BC: get the front clip welded in the back; mount the engine, tranny, rear suspension; put in stock front suspension.

I'll then use a car dolly type trailer to tow it back, as I'll be doing it with a Mazda 3, and want to keep the weight to a minimum. I did just install a hitch and wiring before coming. I figure the loaded weight of the trailer I brought to be about 2000 lbs, so I should be just fine.

Comment

Project Phoenix MR KL Pre-build

And once you drag it to Ontario, I'll make the 2-1/2 hour trip to come check it out

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                        X