Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some wheel and one tire weight with accurate scale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some wheel and one tire weight with accurate scale...

I got my Cabela's fish scale last week and it's about time I weighed some car things. So today I grabbed some convenient wheels, one tire, and one combo to see what they really weighed. Some day I'll do a more thorough job of weighing more stuff. But for now here are some figures in pounds/ounces:

Festiva 12 X 4" steelies.......................................... ..................10/1 (ten pounds, one ounce)
    Festiva 12 X 4.5" steelies (yes! I had one after all!)......................10/7
    Festiva 12 X 4.5" alloy............................................. .................10/5

Aspire 13 X 4.5" steelie (I weighed two of them)............................13/14 & 13/15
    Aspire 13 X 4.5" alloy............................................. ...................13/2

Festiva alloy with newish tread 165/70-12 Nankang radial................23/14

Honda VX 13 X 5" alloy (with wheel weights & center cap)................9/5

Sava "Effecta" 135/80-13 radial tire (brand new never mounted)........10/8

The Savas were bought from Tires-easy and are now all gone. I hope to make them into "temporary spares" when I mount them on 4.5" wide wheels.

The VX had one small and one tiny wheel weight, Figure maybe .75 oz total extra?

Here's a link to the Cabela's fish scale I bought:

(Method: I didn't just hold this in my hand. I clamped a furring strip of wood onto my porch rail for stability and the fish scale slipped onto the furring strip just fine. This ensured there was no wobbling or other unsteadiness upon weighing each item. I also made sure the weighed item was not touching the porch rail. My results should be pretty consistent, methinks.)

To sum up a couple of interesting and maybe surprising findings, the lightest Festiva wheel you could have is the 12 X 4" steel wheel. It is four ounces lighter than the alloy and six ounces lighter than the wider steelie.

The 13 X 4.5" Aspire alloy is only about twelve ounces lighter than the same size steelie. I was planning on using a couple of my Aspire alloys to make "temp spares" with the skinny Sava tire, but maybe I'll have to weigh some other steel wheels in that size to see if I can find one as light or lighter than the alloy. If I used the Sava on the Aspire alloy the resulting combo would weight 23 pounds and ten ounces. (Compare that with an estimated weight of my 175/70 Falkens (15#) on my 13 X 5.5" Estrellas (12.5#) of 27.5 pounds.)

The Honda VX wheel is darned light! Probably still one or two ounces over the often heard "nine pounds" though.

Finally, my old method of weighing wheels and tires may not be too bad. I would use my bathroom scale and weight myself, then pick up the tire or wheel or combo and step back on, subtracting my weight to get the target weight. Not half bad, according to the fish scale. Probably within a pound at least.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Karl, if we have our own wheels that are still available and haven't been listed yet, can we post here too?
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Yes! Go ahead.

Preferably, list the following:

-type of scale
      -item weighed and any variances from normal (ie., wheel weights on it, all rusty, etc.)
      -how did you weigh it--hanging from a post, or held in your hand, standing on it, etc.

Eventually, I'd like to see a chart of not just wheels and tires, but also common parts put on (or taken off) Festivas and Aspires. All weighed in only one or two ways, such as an accurate fish scale, certified floor scale, etc.

The fewest variables in scale type and weighing methods, the better!

Anyone can contribute here for now though. Don't be shy! Just be honest about how and what you are weighing with. Try to ensure it is as accurate as possible.

At some point I might even mail my scale around so others can borrow it to weight stuff to contribute here. I could take it to meets, too.

Oh, while we're at it, here's a link to the Miata.net page of wheel weights covering Miata wheels and some others:

Very useful! I'll be checking them on the following wheels I have:

Daisies and the seven (solid) spokes.

Other wheels I will be doing are MINI "phone dials"; RX/7 multiple holes; AR Estrella; and some others.

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Went to the PnP this morning. Many parts are 20% off and some 50% off.

I was after an Aspire rear axle, but it wasn't going to be easy, let alone in this 90 degree heat! So I opened up the drums and got the adjusters, spindle nuts, etc.

I also got two unused doughnuts from two '01 Rios:

One was a Kumho bias ply and the other was a Hankook radial. Both were T105/70-14s.

I weighed them both twice each when I got home (pounds/ounces):

Kumho bias ply: 20/15 & 21.0

Hankook radial: 21/2 & 21/3

My scale was hanging a bit crooked so that may account for some variance. It was also in direct sunlight and very hot, maybe 90 degrees. I wonder if heat would affect the electronics? Not that it was out for a long time. This only took about five minutes.

Since I think Rios of this year ran 175/70-13s, these doughnuts should be great for those who run that tire size, or anything close like 155/80-13s, 185/60-14s or 195/50-15s. I haven't tried them in a spare tire well yet though, so if that is your hope, check it first! Remember these spares are 4 X 100mm bolt pattern, as well as perfectly hubcentric for an Aspire.

Doughnuts that are only 11 years old should be much nicer than the newest Aspire doughnuts which are now going on 15+ years old, and since many folks run Aspire brake swaps and larger tires, these will probably fill the bill if a true temporary spare is your choice. At only 21 pounds (give or take an ounce or two), they will also be around 4 to 8 pounds lighter than a full size spare, and still 3 pounds lighter than my idea of running that skinny Sava Effecta 135/80 on an Aspire alloy (24 pounds). However, the advantage of my Sava/Aspire alloy idea is that that combo would not be restricted to the normal 50 miles/50 mph limits that temporary spares are subject to.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-29-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Thread needs moar tags! I wonder what these protege rims weigh? Good info Karl, thanks for sharing!
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I see this thread going absolutely crazy, and I'm in. Just let me get my spare Enkei out and I can use my bathroom scale. My wife has a few freeweights I can use to verify my digital bathroom scale. Mind you, it's only accurate to half a pound.
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

So Karl stopped by today, and he brought his scale, so we got some weights off random things laying around the garage, at one point we were just grabbing whatever we could find to hang up lol..

Stock Aspire Steelie with 175/70/r13 Tire----------29.3 lbs
              Protege Alloy with 185/60/r14 Tire----------------32.3 lbs
              Stock Aspire AC Condenser Box-------------------6.0 lbs
              02 Kia Rio Strut & Spring (1 coil cut)--------------13.12 lbs
              Stock Aspire Exhaust Manifold--------------------7.1 lbs
              Stock Aspire LCA --------------------------------3.7 lbs
              2 bags of engine electronics wiring from an Aspire--10.4 lbs

That's about everything we weighed today, I'll try to get pictures up of these things if I can, temporarily misplaced my BRAND NEW camera..
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                Stock Aspire Steelie with 175/70/r13 Tire----------29.3 lbs
                Protege Alloy with 185/60/r14 Tire----------------32.3 lbs
                Stock Aspire AC Condenser Box-------------------6.0 lbs
                02 Kia Rio Strut & Spring (1 coil cut)--------------13.12 lbs
                Stock Aspire Exhaust Manifold--------------------7.1 lbs
                Stock Aspire LCA --------------------------------3.7 lbs
                2 bags of engine electronics wiring from an Aspire--10.4 lbs
                Knowing the EXACT weight of your Festiva: Priceless.

Comment

Working...
                X