Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AquaMutt meets Prettystiva: A road trip story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AquaMutt meets Prettystiva: A road trip story.

Yesterday Matt (Zoom zoom) and I took a little Road Trip to snag an Aspire and a Festy from Anthony (Codex). We were both kinda tired because we had both worked the night before. BTW, "Understatement Happens" in this thread, as well as unnecessary capitalization.

Matt had his mother's truck and I rode shotgun. It took me two hours to get to Matt's place near Marietta. While there he showed me his Aspire project. I should've gotten a picture of how he decorates his kitchen! Think "clean BP on a jackstand." If he had a larger table, it would've made a nice centerpiece!

M factory differential equipped G25MR was in the living room, lounging on the floor with a selection of CV axles and other parts. Oh, but the car itself was in the garage! One has to draw the decorating line somewhere! :p

BTW, I'm not making fun of him. When I build my dream house, I may copy his taste. Maybe with smaller parts though.

It took us about two hours to get up to Anthony's place. After a quick perusal of the goods, we went to get the paperwork done. Then back to start the real work: hitching up the Aspire, loading the two engines, MTX and other extra parts for the trip back.

Here's Matt beginning the work after taking off the bumper cover:

Unfortunately, the angle of the towbar from the plates Matt had fabbed from his Aspire was much too steep to work in this instance. His truck ball was way too high!

After hemming, hawing, silent cursing and prayer (not in the same breath, I trust), Anthony and I headed off to the hardware store for longer bolts and other little things to make this tow work. The plan, to take advantage of some existing holes in the Aspire's bumper steel and drill a few more to take the tow brackets.

On that little trip I got to drive my purchase, a 1993 Aqua factory painted GL. After some initial rubbing off of some surface brake rust, and getting used to the noisy ticking engine, she drove pretty well. Maybe, just maybe, she'd make it the 100 some miles to Matt's place, where he said she could spend a few months while I got my back yard ready for another car.

Looks like it's gonna work!:

Final grinding, for what reason I don't recall:

And here, awaiting fluid checks, is "Prettystiva":

Her name had been in my mind ever since seeing the video Anthony posted in the for sale forum. I was just waiting to confirm her prettiness in person! And no, she ain't perfect. There is work ahead.

Loaded up for the trip:

Before hitting 77 south, we all went to a local Burger King since we were hungry. Pics taken in the lot (for some reason, about half didn't come out):

This rusty access plate has to go!:

Other side of bay, with evidence of refreshment:

We said our good-byes and got onto 77. Going was quite slow at first, to get used to the feel of pulling a car. We pulled off a couple times to check the equipment and confirm safety. Here was one perfect pull off: our own private cul de sac!:

Elizabeth kept me company on the drive:

When we got near his place, Matt took the lead:

Arrived safely at destination!:

And finally, AquaMutt and Prettystiva meet!:

They seemed to like each other.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Looks like a fun trip!
    Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

It was! Beautiful day, nice scenery, but we were both very very TIRED.

Oh, I forgot to mention I got two engines. A B6ME and a 1994 Miata BP. I'm leaning towards the BP and a stock 5 speed for Pretty's swap.

Karl

Comment

i wish be there!!

nice festivas and nice trip

Comment

We wish you were here, Navid!

I found my other pictures:

Anthony said that's Damkid's green spoiler, probably off his original green car.

Karl

Comment

Good to see the cars stay in the family.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Overall, a very successful trip! Thanks for all the help in making this possible Karl, it would have been a nightmare to make the trip by myself. Now that the easy part is over, its time to do some work and get that Aspire road worthy again!

The blue Festy sitting in my yard looks good, but I may have to clean it up a bit when I do mine, I bet it will shine up nicely.

That little 2wd Ranger really suprised me, it rides better with a load than it does empty. At first it got squirley above 45-50mph, which may have been me, or windy conditions/heavy traffic on i77 4 lane highway south out of Cleveland.? But after we got going, 60-65 was nothing and you couldn't tell there was anything behind me. I think the tools, BP & b6me in the bed may have helped too. I may look into getting a couple Ranger Bucket seats for my BP aspire, they look like they would fit good in there.
              Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-24-2012, 04:09 PM.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Matt, thanks for driving me! And thanks for your hospitality!

Karl

Comment

Working...
                X