No announcement yet.

Tom's B6 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That does look great. I like flat black.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      So the main work is pretty much done; just have to button it up. For the header, I have to wait for the heated 3-wire O2 sensor (Denso 234-3000, Rock Auto), so I will slap on the stock manifold and downpipe and mate it to the Matthew B-pipe and muffler for now. Also, I want to make sure it runs right without throwing in the variable of having the 3-wire O2 sensor not behaving as it should. I have a brand new 234-1000 in the mani now.
      My engine was having problems with the stock o2 sensor so far away from the manifold.
      It would never heat up unless under wot or above 2500rpms.
      It would end up going into open loop then warming up during wot then into closed loop.
      Then when light throttling it would drop back into to open loop as it cooled down.

The heated o2 sensor will eliminate this problem since the o2 sensor was moved so many more inches downstream with your header bungs.
      That was just my experience. But then again my car is obdII.
      There may be a difference there.
      The heated o2 sensor you have I also have and it works great
      Last edited by rmoltis; 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
        My engine was having problems with the stock o2 sensor so far away from the manifold.
        It would never heat up unless under wot or above 2500rpms.
        It would end up going into open loop then warming up during wot then into closed loop.
        Then when light throttling it would drop back into to open loop as it cooled down.

The heated o2 sensor will eliminate this problem since the o2 sensor was moved so many more inches downstream with your header bungs.
        That was just my experience. But then again my car is obdII.
        There may be a difference there.
        The heated o2 sensor you have I also have and it works great
        Thanks for the feedback.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Just to make sure I didn't screw up the squish test, I re-did it, with even more green clay. Same result, no impressions. I'm guessing this is because the pistons are never actually at TDC when the valves are fully open; always on their way up or down. So now I am in the process of reassembly. Here's a couple of pics--I just slapped things on so you'd get an idea of the final result.

Note the snazzy timing belt pulley, and the custom Matt D. passenger side motor mount sitting on the intake.

I really need to jazz up that valve cover. The header got slightly scratched during install; when I remove it I will touch it up, and for final install will cover it so it doesn't get scratched again.

Last edited by TominMO; 09-08-2015, 07:09 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• What is the purpose of the custom engine mount?
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              What is the purpose of the custom engine mount?
              I'm not actually sure why Matt felt he had to make it. It was on his B3 motor. I'm thinking maybe it helped absorb the extra torque, esp. when he had the motor turboed. I just like it.
              Last edited by TominMO; 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Cuz it's custom.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Cause stock mounts are ridiculously mushy and don't help with wheel hop and such.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    Cause stock mounts are ridiculously mushy and don't help with wheel hop and such.
                    it looks like it uses the stock insert though. Filling the stock mounts with polyurethane fixes problem.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-09-2015, 08:26 AM.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• An update, finally.

I still have a few small things to do to make it road-ready: add coolant, wire up the 3-wire Denso O2 sensor, check oil level to top it off, finish bolting on the exhaust. I cranked it up to see how it sounds with the exhaust system that was on Matthew, and make sure I put it all back together right. It sounds amazing, and even scary compared to the stock B6, with stock Festy exhaust after the downpipe. It's gonna be powerful for sure. When the B6 was turboed with Festy cat and exhaust, it made 111 WHP, and spun the clutch in 5th gear. After removing the cat, it spun 3rd and 4th as well; call it 120 WHP. I think this NA configuration will be more powerful; built head, cam and hi-flow exhaust. I should get to take it for a run on Sunday, to get a butt-dyno idea of the HP and how the clutch deals with it.

I will also be doing an MPG run in the near future, just to see how thirsty it is at 60 MPH. I'm expecting mid to high 30s. Previously, it consistently got 42 MPG @ 60 MPH.

I have spent a lot of time on this exhaust, getting all the right adaptors to make it all work. Cutting, fitting, trying something else. Several trips back and forth to Auto Zone. Lots of trial and error today finding out in what sequence the exhaust likes being put together.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 09-18-2015, 07:17 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Looks good Tom, keep the updates coming
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

• This will probably be the final update for awhile.

Got it running, cured the header paint according to the can's instructions. Here's sum pix:

The engine from the pass. side

The engine from the driver side

I did a little wire-tucking around the disty

Matt's B-pipe that was on Matthew, which I adapted to this header in a better way than he did. Needed a flex pipe to do it, due to a small misalignment curve between the header and B-pipe. It's a really good B-pipe.

How I connected it all together. Eventually I will paint the connectors and B-pipe silver.

The muffler, after I cut off the fart-can tip and bolted on a smaller-diameter pipe adaptor.

Of course, after curing the paint I had to take it for a couple of 1/4-mile runs. It is definitely in BP territory, and sounds like a four-stroke racebike when I get on it. The sound is throaty and fairly quiet when my foot's not in it. So now it has good power and very good handling. Ohboyohboy this is gonna be fun! :-)
                          Last edited by TominMO; 09-20-2015, 04:17 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Haven't taken it on the hwy yet, to get a good read on how the clutch likes the new arrangement. That will happen tmw. If all goes well, I'll be scheduling a dyno run at the same shop that did Matt's B3 motor.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Tom's B6 Build Thread

Sounds like a call out. Looks awesome! I'm sure it runs better than it looks. Fun sleeper.
                              Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 09-20-2015, 06:53 PM.
                              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                                Sounds like a call out. Looks awesome! I'm sure it runs better than it looks. Fun sleeper.
                                There's some old man, getting on the hwy with his disposable $600 economy car.....WTF?!?!? :-)

It has a sexy slightly lumpy idle too.
                                Last edited by TominMO; 09-20-2015, 06:58 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X