1. Set the crankshaft to TDC by aligning the TDC timing mark
(yellow) on the crankshaft pulley with the timing mark (white) on the timing
belt cover. To align the timing marks, turn the crankshaft sprocket bolt.
2. Disconnect the Volume Air Flow (VAF) meter connector.
3. Remove the VAF meter and hose.
4. Remove the water pump pulley and belt.
5. Remove the four attaching bolts and the upper timing belt cover.
6. Ensure that the timing mark on the camshaft drive sprocket aligns with the pointer on the cylinder head.
7. If the camshaft mark is not in sight, turn the crankshaft one complete revolution and check the camshaft timing mark alignment.
* If the timing marks are aligned, the camshaft is properly timed to the crankshaft.
* If the timing marks are not aligned, continue this adjustment procedure.
8. Remove the timing belt. Refer to the procedure in this section.
9. Remove the spark plugs. Refer to Engine Ignition.
10. Turn the crankshaft to align the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.
11. Turn the camshaft to align the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket with the timing mark on the cylinder head.
12. Install the timing belt. Refer to the procedure in this section.
13. Install the spark plugs. Refer to Engine Ignition.
14. Install the upper timing belt cover and secure with the four attaching bolts.
15. Install the water pump pulley and belt.
16. Install the VAF meter and hose.
17. Connect the VAF meter connector.
*Copyright © 2004 Ford Festiva Com-All Rights Reserved
*except data and images courtesy of Ford