Rear Bumper Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Bumper Mod.

I remember someone posted about making the rear bumper stick out less. I did it this weekend thought I post pics. I didn't bother to take pics of the process because, well, doing this mod pretty much does away with the rear crash structure and I don't want to be the one to tell people how to make their car less safe.

On the other hand it chopped about 20lbs off the car (albeit off the wrong end) and I think it looks better.

I still need to notch the bottom edge to clear the tie down loops, it's pushing the bottom of the bumper out and making it look crooked.

Nice job! It looks good!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

I like it , nice job .. :thumbleft:
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

wow the car looks great. I am planning on leaving off both the front and rear bumper supports on my car and was wandering how you rehooked it to the car to make it stay and not look sloppy and flop in the wind and if the front should be as easy as the back.

Comment

Those wheels look great btw and I love the color of your car.

Comment

yeah, looks great, and love those wheels.

Comment

Hmm I can think I know of another model of car that this might work on. Might try it tomorrow since I have to replace the bumper anyways. Could you do the same to the front? Looks like if you brought it back to far the tires would rub, same goes for the rear also.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

i removed both front and rear bumper supports never thought about making the bumpers not "stick out" as much...nice work. As far as reattaching mine i used zip ties and sheet metal screws. I was wondering if the old body style s-10 front valance will wrok on the back of a festiva??

Are those wheels rotas versionn of the panasports or konig rewinds? Whats the ofset on them. They sit like my old shool enkei mesh wheels

Pics to follow after this tuesday when i get my new 175/50/13 sumitomo HTR200's
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Never noticed till now, but lol on one ribbed TL and one smooth TL

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES
                    Yeah, I got the car that way. I don't think the previous owner noticed or cared. I think the car has been repaired in that corner because the only part of the car where the clearcoat is peeling is that quarter plus the tailight has been replaced, but I have the interior gutted and there is no sign of repairs done inside the panels so I don't know.

To hold the bumper on I made two brackets that bolt in place of the stock bumper supports and hold an angle iron shelf kind of thing that goes between the taillights and holds the bumper is place. Other than that it's screwed on each corner with the stock screws. I think I trimmed about 3.25 inches off of the length of the bumper, that's how much I trimmed off of the edge under the hatch, but it seems more like 2.5 inches as the wheelwells, judging by the scraps I had left over.

I'm kind of going for the rally car look so I think I may pick up a few dzus fasteners to hold it on, make it quick release. lol. It might make sense to do the quick release on the front bumper though if you had a FMIC that might need to be access occasssionally.

I'll have to take the front bumper off next weekend and see what it looks like, see if the same could be done there.

The wheels are 13" Performance Superlites. They are Australian, some company used to import them. They advertized in GrassRoots Motorsports. I'm not sure of the offset, they fit under an un-flared Datsun 510, that's what I bought them for originally.

Comment

that is a seamless job jimmy. i been wanting to do that for awhile but did,nt know what it would look like. i think it looks tight. better than stock. where the hells my grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES
                        My red car came like that!
                        Brian
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                        :fish:

Comment

If you look on the back of the rim it should have a stamping at to what the rim size/width/offset is. BTW what kind of tires and whats the size?

Comment

The tires are 6 year old Yokohama AVS in 185/60-13. Remnants from when the 510 last ran.

The offset is stamped on the wheels, actually on the outer rim, but it's in a code proprietary to Performance Ind. aparently.

If you google superlite 13P there seem to be a lot of conversations going on about what 13P means in Superlite-ese.

Here is an Ebay auction for a set of the same wheels.

I emailed the factory's tech support department, maybe they can clear it up.

-James-

Comment

I've started on trying this on the Aspire. I can only take off 2.5 inches though due to the side maker's., the Festiva's would certainly be easier to flush mount. One inch should be sticking out after the 2.5 inches gets trimmed off. The rear support beam weighted 20lbs. You actually have to remove the rear beam before you can remove the cover. Here is as far i've got.. naked

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                              X