No announcement yet.

Choptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure we will see a post from Monsoon on this one.....lol....way to bring back the dead.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Just cant help myself.
      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
      - Unknown
      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

If I were doing a chopped roof Festiva, I'd probably take off no more than 2 inches. That would keep the look much the same, provide enough headroom for someone my height (5'10") and reduce some of the potential glass problems.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Is there any one that can do a photochop of one?
          -Josh R

Comment

Great project. Go for it.

One of the main things that makes this chop “interesting” to say the least, is the fact that all the pillars taper. A and C, taper in to an invisible center above the car. The B pillar tapers slight rearward and inward to that same point as A and C. So, unlike a Ford Model T or A which for the most part, the top can be brought straight down, the Festiva and other “modern” cars can pose a real challenge. My 55 Chevy PU got chopped. It fell into the mid-range of difficulty for an experienced body guy. (Not me) That slick looking wrap-around windshield was trimmed by a glass pro but never did look exactly right. The panorama rear glass was replaced by Plexi. The door glass was left stock to the best of my recollection. (It’s been 35 or so years ago) I was also real close to a ’34 Ford tudor sedan chop. That was another serious caper, especially around the C pillar.

Remove the center roof panel and “quarter” the existing roof so that maintaining the curves of the pillars won’t be restricted by a completely rigid assembly. Following plenty of scribe reference points, lower each pillar separately. Remember as the A and C pillars are sectioned for lowering, the top parts will move away from the center of the car on the side view and closer to the center from the top view. Cuts must be made on the pillars where the difference in thickness/shape of the now shortened pieces will be at a minimum. With pieces from the other car, start bridging the pillars on each side. The hatch opening and the top line of the windshield will have the shape of a scowling eyebrow. The sides to a lesser extent. Recreate a new top of the windshield opening from the spare car etc. The C pillars and the hatch will likely cause the most pain and anguish. You can live with some mismatch on the inside that gets covered with interior trim etc.

This same tapering is in the door’s window frames too. Aarrrgh

From my limited experience, I say you’d need to have at least one parts car available and dozens of various size C clamps and “tooling.”

Old car magazines from the 50s and 60s are a good resource.

All things are possible. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. (And all the other motivational quotes.)

Comment

photoChop request:
              original

Chop

bigger wheels, less chop
              Last edited by FestYboy; 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM. Reason: add pic
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

nice photochop!!
                -Josh R

Comment

I wanna see a 6" chop!!
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

fattie has the idea i had. if you cut this much you wont have to cut the side windows.. (attachment). you will just have to move the mirrors.. its not just chopping either you will have to channel it too.. the roof will be longer and wider.
                    Last edited by ketchup; 10-08-2008, 01:04 AM.
                    YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

Nice photo-chop. Starting to look like a Golf GTI. Especially with those sharp looking wheels.

Comment

Working...
                      X