Red tails....searched, but no luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red tails....searched, but no luck

I hate the yellow in my rear tails, then came across this pic while searching cardomain, I've searched the forums but to no avail, where can i get them?

99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
    98 SVT - PRT R&D car
    90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

I believe he painted them with a thin coat of red, after using a heat gun to remove the amber from the inside

Comment

that looks like freds car aka b6t ask him

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd
        I believe he painted them with a thin coat of red, after using a heat gun to remove the amber from the inside
        I have never heard of using a heat gun to remove the color, does anyone have more info on this?
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

That look can be achieved with very thin light coats of candy apple red model paint. Otherwise I could swear there was a company that made a tail light paint like that. Maybe Eastwood or something along those lines
          Paul
          91GL
          Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

If I remember correctly Fred used a Krylon product to paint the taillights with some kind of transparent finish.

The success of any painting project is the preparation.... clean, clean then clean some more.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

As far as i can tell the yellow would have to be removed before any tint could be applied, red tint over a yellow lens = orange lense. There has to be a way to remove the color, just need a set of early or late tails to try my theory on. I already have a set of praking lights on the way to try the same theory.

~Josh
              99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
              98 SVT - PRT R&D car
              90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

[quote="25Horseplay I have never heard of using a heat gun to remove the color, does anyone have more info on this?[/quote]

I thought you could use a special UV light that removed the color from the lens also .
                Help PU241 :lol:
                ------------------------------------------------
                The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

i cheated on making my tail lights, i smashed off all the color then covered it in the clear stuff i have on them now

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I am boiling a set of smoothies as I type.. the heat gun just plain sucks.. it blisters the lense.. I will keep y'all posted..

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
                      I am boiling a set of smoothies as I type.. the heat gun just plain sucks.. it blisters the lens.. I will keep y'all posted..
                      did you take the lenses off? i was just trying to get mine off but I'm afraid of breaking them.
                      AIM= bobbo216

Comment

you will break them trying to pry them.. that's why I'm experimenting by boiling them.. hoping to heat up the glue so that I can push the lense from the socket side.. dunno, this is my first try at boiling them.. I've already ruined like 3 good sets trying different ways..

Comment

it worked rather well.. a suggestion though.. Whatever tool you use to push the lense out with, make sure you push as close to an edge as possible.. I dumbassed out and pushed in the center warping the lense.. Also if you let the lense get too hot the amber lense will turn yellow kind of like the water ring you leave on wood.. but this is an experiment so glad to find out now..

But it works!! They came off easy as pie..

Comment

What are you trying to do with these lights???
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

lol right now I was just trying to get the lenses off without breaking them..

Comment

Working...
                              X