Cluster Red LED install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster Red LED install

Standard electrical disclaimer. Disconnect all power sources, and never turn on the power source until all wires and/or connections are fully insulated

First thing you need to do, is unscrew 5 screws from the bottom of your steering column trim. This is what it looks like uninstalled

The two peices of trim around the steering column snap together. It takes a little prying at the openings for the blinker and the wipers, but if you didn't get all 5 screws in the previous steps, you could break something.

The top piece of trim is all that needs to be removed really......but the bottom might as well come off too.

Remove two screws from the bottom of the outer cluster trim. no photo provided due to strange angles that don't express the point.

Remove outer cluster trim

Undo 2 copper, and 2 silver screws holding the cluster in place.

This next step takes some either finesse, or reckless abandon. I chose reckless abandon.
    I pulled on the cluster face until it popped off. I was lucky, and the short wired bulb (left side)popped out before anything broke.
    both bulbs are turn-lock style. you just turn them 90 degrees and they come right out with no risk. I'm a big guy, so my hands don't fit. From what I understand, you can disconnect the speedo cable and that makes it easier to pull out the cluster. I did not do this.

Here is the back of the cluster face so you can see where the bulbs go

Choose one of the lights(I chose the long wired one that goes to the right) and cut the wire. Strip it for splicing.

Here is the light set that I used

The lights come wired into some tester button. cut this wire to a length sufficient enough to work with(I suggest about 6 inches or the length of a dollar bill from the light string)
    Strip these ends for splicing.
    Mount the strip inside the cluster plastic underneath where the original lights would be.
    Route the wires through the slot with the white glare shield.
    Splice the wires.

IMPORTANT! Red to Black/White, Black to Black IMPORTANT!

it will not work the other way around. I found this out once everything was back together.

Test your lights. If you didn't already, this might be a good time to just pull out the other bulb. Tape over the empty socket to avoid gremlin intrusion.

Reassemble everything in the order it came out. Test your lights again. This method allows the dimmer switch to work with the LED's also.

Here are the desired results.

Happy modding.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

NOTICE: The temp guage needle is WAY out of place. I hit it during the install and didn't catch it. Had to fix it today. 11 screws, 3 panels and the cluster glass removed all to tap tap tappy it back into place.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I am not too fussy about red colored cluster downlights. But I do however like LED cluster backlights.

Comment

AKA Bebandit dimmable LED cluster mod It looks good! I have an amber set as well.
        Last edited by DriverOne; 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Just so they'll load here and people don't have to open new tabs and such on browsers to view them.

(GenevaDirt) The pictures were made into links because they are bigger then allowed. That doesn't mean you go and post them again the same way. Either adjust them to 640 x 480 or they will be links or deleted.

Comment

i did the same thing in my first festiva.. it looks pretty good. im gonna do bright white or green this time on my new festy

Comment

i've done something similar with LED's added to original globe areas and left the speedo going from green to red.. wasn't sure about the lights above but gives me some great ideas now. thanks.
              Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
              Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km
              City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I just take the upper lighting out altogether and use brighter lights in the back. Super-White LED's and resistors work great and still allow you to see the needles without the upper lights, at least well enough to drive.

I've been using the stock backlighting without the upper lights on my red one, no problems there at night, I can still see the shadows of the needles when they sweep the tick marks on the gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  I am not too fussy about red colored cluster downlights. But I do however like LED cluster backlights.
                  where did you come across that
                  ;
                  www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                  rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                  '92 Festiva L M/T
                  '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Working...
                  X