Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Dan's B6 build

Well hey all!

I asked a few peeps here if I should start a build thread on my B6 swap, and all said, heck yeah, so here we go....

I actually kinda started a swap thread a while back, but it got off to a bad start See here
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42416

I thought it would be better if I started again with the B6 I have now.

This is going to be a carbed B6 using the Weber 32/36 downdraft carb I had on the B3, using the B3 intake manifold to make the carb conversion on the B6.

This to me has been a slow process. Life keeps happening and havent got to it like I wanted, but it is moving forward.

The engine I have to work with this time. Looks like it was taken care of at least. Nice that all openings were capped.

I cant put an engine in without painting it ...and...everything!

The block now

Apparently I didnt get the block as clean as I wanted by the head (dull spots near head)
    Dont know if i'll redo or not, but it will prolly bother me....
    Last edited by drddan; 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

I managed to paint a few other things

oil pan

coolant tube
    man, was it dirty and rusty!

and my favorite

Its not done yet, the wrinkle paint takes a LONG time to dry!!!
    I messed up a small spot on it after 24 hours of dry time, by handling it to finish up the surface of the ribs! The ribs I pre sanded and masked off with painters tape before applying the black wrinkle. I fixed the small smudge on it by spraying the wrinkle paint into the paint cap lid, and using a toothpick dipped into the paint to roll on the smudge. It blended perfect.

Its going to get 3 days more days, at least to harden up, before I touch it again!
    Last edited by drddan; 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM.
    Dan

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I am ordering parts, and trying to find info on things I still yet need to get.

Ordered a Stage 1 clutch kit today, to put up with the B6 engine.
      I am using a Festy 5 spd tranny and flywheel, so the clutch needs to be a little stronger.

I already have these gaskets to put on the B6 too. No oil leaks on the new paint! :nono:

I need an exhaust system, manifold to tailpipe too. Presently working on getting that together.
      Last edited by drddan; 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM.
      Dan

R.I.P.
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

hmmm I put a stock replacement clutch up to a load of abuse with a stronger version of your setup with no hint of slipage (same trans and flywheel as you, but a hotter engine)
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This is where I work on Cujo

In the "Hillbilly Garage"

...which collapsed 2 days after that pic, from the torrential downpour sunday night. I awoke monday morning to find the tarp had fallen into the the empty engine bay, filling it with like 50 gallons of water! LMAO! Oh well, no harm.

Yuck, dirty engine bay. Have to work on that!
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Sweet! I'll be watching, gonna be doing the same exact thing later this year
            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              hmmm I put a stock replacement clutch up to a load of abuse with a stronger version of your setup with no hint of slipage (same trans and flywheel as you, but a hotter engine)

Yeah, I been kickin around what I should get for variuos things, like the clutch and so forth, but this was on ebay, for $98 and change, with a "make offer", so I did.
              I Offered $75, and with shipping was only $90 delivered to my door

Its a Bahnhof clutch (who????) A clutch put together with Exedy, Luk, and other parts.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/160586629986...84.m1423.l2649

Info I found by asking the seller:

Dear customer,
              BAHNHOF is an independent clutch brand from Autoparts-express. For that purpose we use components for different manufacturers such as: Exedy, NKK, Luk, Competition Clutch and Seco; depending on the car. If you have any more questions, please contact us. Sincerely,

Auto Parts Express

I found a few threads on a Toyota forum, I think it was, and no one had anything bad to say about them, and seemed to like them.
              (But thats a Toyota forum, what do they know?) :p
              Last edited by drddan; 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

i was just stating that a non HD Stage eleventybillion will also hold up to the current build (attesting to the abuse that a stock clutch can take).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

The engine paint work looks great...I like the wrinkled VC!

Clutch looks like an excellent deal...I'll look for that one when I get my 5-speed.
                  '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Nice build thread! For the tarp, put something on the roof of the car to act as a tent centerpole, so water will just run off.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks! I was twisting myself all up trying to decide which color treatment to put on my head.

Red or black ...red or black....

Then I thought about the ol' school hot rods, and edelbrock valve covers that were ribbed, wrinkle black, with the sanded/polished rib tops and ...well ....

... say no more! That was it! drool

Especially since, a little down the road, I would like to paint the Festy Gloss Black.

...and GTX bumpers!
                      Last edited by drddan; 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM.
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Looking at this Bosal head pipe, to hook to the B6 manifold. Its for a 1989 323.
                        This is the one place that answered me quickly about what size the pipe diameter is too. Stated it was about 1 5/8 dia ID at the manifold flange, and about 1 3/4 dia ID at the cat side. Still havent heard from Summit on the Walker head pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSAL-736-35...416961&vxp=mtr
                        Last edited by drddan; 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                          Then I thought about the ol' school hot rods, and edelbrock valve covers that were ribbed, wrinkle black, with the sanded/polished rib tops and ...well ....

LOL< nice job on the valve cover! I did the exact same thing to my B6 a couple weeks ago. The black wrinkle with polished ribs go perfectly with the little plate on top of the intake that says "1.6 INJECTION".
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            i was just stating that a non HD Stage eleventybillion will also hold up to the current build (attesting to the abuse that a stock clutch can take).
                            I was also thinking about re-using my stock Exedy replacement...it only has about 10K miles on it and funds are pretty tight right now. So you're saying that it should hold up fine behind my B6/ported head/FMS cam?
                            I don't plan beating on it a lot, but I don't want to pull the engine in 6 months to put a clutch in it either.
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

mine is still in Scrappy 30+k later and after teaching someone to drive stick with it (up hill). holding just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X