Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticking heard from an electronic with vacuum lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking heard from an electronic with vacuum lines?

I replaced the distributor o-ring in my 93 festiva L. It may have done this before but don't remember it making the noise. Anyways, after putting everything back on and starting it up I can hear a ticking noise when the engine is accelerating or revved up. At an idle it is ok but only when the engine is under a little load.

The noise can be heard from the little electronic piece that is bolted to the firewall which has two vacuum lines going to it. The ticking also can also be felt when putting my hand on the electronic piece.

Is this normal?

Michael

That is the EVAP purge solenoid.
    It vents gasses from the charcoal canister when the engine is running. (The gas tank vents to the canister to prevent gas vapors from going into the atmosphere)
    When the car is running, the computer will tell the purge solenoid to open and engine vacuum will draw the stored vapors into the intake where they are sucked into the cylinders and burned.

That's what it is and basically how it works.
    Now, as for the ticking. It would appear as though it is constantly cycling- opening and closing. I wouldn't think that is normal behaviour but I do not know exactly how the purge solenoids operate.
    Perhaps someone else can chime in on the normal operation?
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
    X