Underhood Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhood Light

I want to add an underhood worklight to my Festiva. Holding a flashlight and tools is difficult or bringing out a work light for simple things is annoying.
    My truck has a pretty bright light that automatically turns on and off and I love it.

Has anyone here installed an underhood light?
    If so, where did you source it? Certain junkyard vehicle or parts store.
    I know RAM trucks have the lights but I am uncertain if they are mercury switches or if there is a switch hiding in the hood hinge somewhere.
    What other vehicles have good underhood lights, preferably with a built in mercury switch for ease and cleanliness in wiring?
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

One thing you might try is to take a strong 12V battery with you to the 'yard and test each underhood light you find to see if it's a mercury switch. Or follow the wiring to see if you can tell.

I use a cheap Harbor Freight LED light that has a hook and a magnet. It's pretty bright. Here is the link:

Amazing deals on this Ultra Bright Worklight/Flashlight at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

I keep mine stuck to the black cowl access cover located on the right upper side of my firewall. It's been there since spring and hasn't moved and still works fine! Used it at FMV some.

Not an automatic light, but it will get you through most anything if you place it right.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Not really what you're after but i made a working light from stuff around the house. I got a old broken 10 metre extension lead and a light bulb fixture and a fluro bulb and wired that up to plug straight into a wall and it works great and the 10 metre cord gives it great mobility.
      93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
      98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
      98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Ford trucks have a nice underhood light. My 1980 Bronco had a retractable light under the hood! Really sweet!
        You could pull the light out from its mount and walk around to the back of the vehicle with it and use it to see, if you had a flat or something, or just to use it as a flashlight to load/unload stuff from the back. It was magnetic too.
        Last edited by drddan; 10-16-2011, 08:33 AM.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Super bright LED strip mounted to the hood, wired to the battery with a simple switch...
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

90's Ford Crown Victorias, Lincoln Continentals and Mercury Grand Marquis have mercury switches in their trunk lights. You can pull the whole (small) assembly and figure out what tilt it will need to turn on or if you're able to solder, mount it any way you want under the hood.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thanks everyone!
              I've heard about those retractable lights before, drddan. Never seen one though.

My friend and I are looking for a project, so we will browse a yard checking out lights and figure out how to mount it in a Festiva.

If we succeed, I will report back
              ~Austin
              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                Super bright LED strip mounted to the hood, wired to the battery with a simple switch...
                Thats the first thought that crossed my mind when i read this thread :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I once installed four medium sized (4) 12V truck lights to completely illuminate a chromed engine for street driving without a hood. It was controlled by a dash switch. It was lit up from all sides, just like a Christmas tree!

Comment

i have about 4 feet of white led strips that i use. when it gets dark i will post a pic, its actually the best.
                    edit: already had one
                    Last edited by snq; 10-20-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Snq, your LED strip looks really cool and effective! I might have to copy it.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I do like the LED lights.

I went with this:

Its nice and bright. The picture was taken on my cell phone with no flash and little ambient light

Close up. This light doesn't use a mercury switch but something similar. The bullet shaped thing appears to contain a ball that makes contact when tilted at a certain angle.

With lens installed

This light is out of a later second generation Dodge Ram truck (1998-2001 years)
                        I cut the loom and wire where it enters the main harness behind the ABS pump on the fender. Gave me plenty of wire for a Festiva. Even has loom and plastic retainers.
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

snq holy awesome LED's!!

oren, I like it
                          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

For some strange reason, I'm not too fussy on LEDs.
                            I have chosen to install some old incandescents instead.
                            The hood mounted light(s) will be peeking out from underhood insulation.
                            My first chore was locating an underhood light switch.
                            I found three of them at the yard on Friday (SAAB, Mercedes and BMW). The SAAB switch had the best proportions.
                            The best spot for mounting was sharing the right front A/C line support clip.
                            The hood shuts.
                            I will still have to do some paper pull out tests to see how much pressure the hood puts on this grounding switch.
                            Pictures next time.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 12-13-2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Why not use a mercury switch on the light itself?
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                              X