No announcement yet.

Lower ball joint boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just posted this....AGAIN...in the lower control arm post...
    also above a few posts.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TominMO
    Can the LCA ball joint boot be used for the tie rod end too, or is it a different size and part #?

2 different parts....the diameter of the studs are different. But...in the help section they sell a 2 pack of boots that have 1 of each size in them. I just bought 2 packs and replaced mine.
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks Geneva. I just measured the body of the ball joint socket on both the tie rod end and the LCA. The tie rod end's body is 1.5" diameter; the LCA body is 1.75", so two different parts makes sense to me too; confirms that the 13101 is for the tie rod end, and the 13119 is for the LCA. I would rather use those than the 2-pack from McParts, since I would guess they aren't designed to last as long as the Energy Suspension parts. Plus I just ordered two new Moog tie rod ends for Danny, so I'll order the Energy Suspension LCA boots separately.
      Last edited by TominMO; 11-26-2011, 11:17 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thats cool....was not aware that other boots were available...let me know once you get them how they work out.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

I had begun to scavenge usable boots from salvage and derelict parts, and have also begun to borrow a ball-joint puller from my local parts supplier. His C clamp-type tool works really well. May well be I have a box of spare boots soon since that revelation.

Comment

Update: I installed the Energy Suspension boots (part # 9.13119) on Danny's LCAs. They are slightly large but should do the trick. They are a neoprene-ish material, so I expect them to last significantly longer than rubber boots. A pair of them cost $6 at Advance Auto. They had to order them; took two days.

The driver's LCA was a little worn; the boot was toast, all the grease was gone, and there was some play in there. I cleaned it out with brake cleaner, added grease and put the boot on.

The passenger's LCA had a ball joint that was very worn, probably in danger of popping out fairly soon. Boot shot, no grease. I used an LCA I found in a JY that had an intact boot, but the boot showed a crack all around when it was compressed; so I cut that boot off and used my other Energy Suspension boot on it.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Tom that drivers LCA may last you through winter (or spring since it's on your new aquisition), but i wouldn't push it any further than that.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  Tom that drivers LCA may last you through winter (or spring since it's on your new aquisition), but i wouldn't push it any further than that.
                  I was wondering about that. Maybe change it out and keep it as an emergency spare.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

yeah, better idea.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                    X