88lx carb issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
    Right now I am completely frustrated with it. I havent been able to drive it since I have been back from afghanistan. Since i have been back I dumped to much money into it, plus the wife is tired of it as well. To make things worse my truck needs repairs which I will need another car in order to do since it will be a week project. I dont know, it just seems like when I think I got it figured out it turns out to be something else. Which means another part that is usually about 100 bucks. Just getting to rich for me to keep up with.:-(
    when i got my festiva it was 800 bucks, no biggy. first thing i did was check it out, to find the suspension clapped out, bad bearings, needed brakes etc. i did a full aspire swap and spared no expense. new everything. I tried to smog it. failed gross polluter, new cat, new exhaust, full tune up, seafoam, etc. ended up the oxy sensor wire was broken on the car's side of the harness. then i finally got to drive home. where it pissed oil all over the driveway. so i pulled the motor out, valve job, resealed everything, and put it back in. i still get some drips from the trans output seals, which i beleive the differential bearings need replaced as there is some slop there, but i can live with that. im over 4k deep into it, but it runs, is paid for, and gets good mileage...... stick with it, you arent the only one. cars are over 20+ years old are going to be finiky, and yes, my wife is also sick of it

Comment

We will see. I get to the point that I want to sell her, but then I keep on trying to fix her. If I dident put the webber carb on her I would just take her to the shop and let someone else deal with it.
      Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

maybe the local repair shop guy can take a peek at it with the weber carb. i mean, its just a carb

Comment

I might give that shot. First I have to find a way to get it there.

Comment

How do you check the fuel pressure? I am willing to give anything a shot at this point except doing an engine swap cause of the money I put into this engine.

Comment

you can put a mechanical fuel guage on it to see where its at. id swap fuel pumps. its very easy on a carb model

Comment

I just might do that just for peace of mind. Plus its cheap which is always a plus.

Comment

Well today on this glorious sunny thursday I found the problem to my carb issues. I got to looking around at the vaccume lines again and didnt see this but anyways my GF started the car for me while I revved it by hand and I looked down in the carb and noticed the accelerator pump squirter thing was just dribbling fuel down it the carb. I then looked on the back of the carb where the vaccume lined is suppost to plug in and noticed it was hooked to a vent hose insted. So I found a vaccume hose and plugged it into the accelerator pump vaccume port (I guess thats what it is) and it sits and idles just fine now. It revvs great and everything. Here is a picture of the lines I had to connect:

Im not totally sure those hoses are suppost to be connected but it runs fine. The picture where my index finger is pointing is that port that had no vaccume. Its on the back of the carb. I hope anyone that has this same problem can look at this and fix theirs.
                  89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                  My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I am glad to hear that you may have fixed your issue. I hope it is fixed. At least its one more festiva back on the road.

Comment

Well took the car for about a mile drive. Runs great and idles low but really no big issues besides a slight chug when the engines under a load. It only chugs once then the engine starts to pull good. i had a question though. Is the white adjuster knob on the back of the carb for idle or fuel/air mixture? I adjusted it trying to get the car to idle alittle bit better and now it smokes a good bit and you can smell unburnt fuel. It didnt do this prior to me twisting the knob.

Comment

whitw knob is for base idle adjustment only. the idle AF adjuster is sealed so you can't tamper with it. your ABC valve could be sticking, though that's not supposed to be active at idle.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I adjusted the knob clockwise which should have increased the idle but it didnt. I then adjusted it counter clockwise and the idle dropped lower then it was. Im totally stumped on the ABC thing. What does that mean and where is it located. I got pretty stoned on the way home because of the unburnt fuel smell. Car has great throttle response tho for being carbed.

Comment

Working...
                          X