Clock Delete 12V/Aux-In Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock Delete 12V/Aux-In Hub

This is my next project. This mod has already partially been done once on the boards, and prices listed may not be the least expensive that you can find, so if you do find something less expensive and want to share, please post it up.

Currently there are no pictures of the build, since it hasn't begun, but here is a diagram of what I hope to achieve:

The left USB setup is, in fact, a 12v socket with a slide-in USB charging adapter, which I personally use to power my BlackBerry and Garmin GPS. Both units consume very low energy, and so pose no threat of blowing any fuses. However, I have the second 12v socket so that my items won't be the only accessories I can charge (i.e., a passenger's mobile). These 12v units will be fed in parallel from the stock 12v socket through an in-line fuse rated at 5 amps to keep things safe.
    The second part of the mod requires that the stereo in the dash have a rear auxiliary input. Mine looks like this. There are several kinds, but in my case I'd buy a Y-adapter and cut the plug end off so I could solder the bared ends to the corresponding tabs on a panel-mount stereo jack drilled through the center.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Cool idea!

I personally think it's a bit out of reach and too much in the public's eye if you want to leave something plugged in.

If you could integrate a digital clock as well, I think you take the cake and the baker.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

a real good upgrade would be to make one of those usb ports go into the radio to play an ipod threw it rather than a 3.5mm jack. im a big sound guy and i can honestly say that playing an ipod in a car radio threw the "usb" port sounds a million times better than playing it threw a 3.5mm jack. personally playing any mp3/mp4 player threw the 3.5mm jack into car speakers just sounds muddy. i dont care how expensive your car system is trust me! just a mod suggestion

Comment

I agree. The pure digital sound is so much better, let alone the fact that most radios that do iPod USB connectivity also let you change the track through the radio as well!
        -Zack

Comment

I agree that if USB was a possibility, I'd want to do that. This was pretty much just an open-style idea that I thought to make public, with the options I currently have.
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I can't wait to see a working design!
            -Zack

Comment

To use a USB port as an input, you would need a rear USB port on your head unit. Most new ones I've seen only have them on the front.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

WWell hopefully you got a car radio with multiple RCA jack in the back because then you can hook up an amplifier, buy a RCA to usb cord and run that to your bezel (now capable to play pure digital pod), and run the 3.5mm jack to your bezel. There are very cheap ways you could do it just to get that amazing sound.

Comment

I think the purpose of the plate in the clock delete is to eliminate some of the cords laying in the front of the dash/plugged into the cigarette lighter.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                    I think the purpose of the plate in the clock delete is to eliminate some of the cords laying in the front of the dash/plugged into the cigarette lighter.
                    Bebandit hit it on the head. This is just to say that it can be done, and anyone who can mod this idea and make it their own has done what I had hoped this thread might do: Continue to bring the Festiva into the 21st century.

Comment

This is certainly a neat idea, my cd player has a USB port to use USB memory sticks (jump drives) and I've been trying to come up with a clean looking way of mounting the USB port so one day I may use part of your idea (if that's alright of course)

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                        This is certainly a neat idea, my cd player has a USB port to use USB memory sticks (jump drives) and I've been trying to come up with a clean looking way of mounting the USB port so one day I may use part of your idea (if that's alright of course)
                        Sure, just post pics when you're done!

Comment

What about mounting a usb port in the glovebox? The flash drive would be out of sight but still be very accessible if you wanted to change up the music.
                          -Zack

Comment

I've ordered parts to use the clock delete space on Ole Yeller to put in the 12V DC and USB port. I also would like to be able to connect my IPOD thru to the radio.
                            Problem is my radio is the original and doesn't even have a cassette player.
                            I need suggestion on a replacement for the radio that will fit the current space without cutting the bezel, that has the usb/ipod connect capability (from rear and front if possible) and is not too expensive.
                            I also want to connect to my current speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                              What about mounting a usb port in the glovebox? The flash drive would be out of sight but still be very accessible if you wanted to change up the music.
                              That's how my stereo is. I took a spare hard drive I had and put it in a casing and formatted it to hold my entire music library. Then I can still plug it in to sync it with my comp! It's basically a huge 250gb mp3 player :p it works great! Then I just keep it sitting in the glove box
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
                              X