Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shifter assembly repair Howto with pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter assembly repair Howto with pictures.

Here is a link with pictures for shifter assembly teardown and rebuild.
    It from clubprotege.com but it's pretty much identical to the Festiva.

been finding this for awhile.

i replaced my shifter bushings but was not able to replace the boot as there are no available replacement here in the Phillipines

been thinking of fabricating one though...

Comment

That lower boot does not appear on the Ford Festiva or Kia Pride part diagrams. I wonder if there is a corresponding Mazda 121 or Protege part number?

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        That lower boot does not appear on the Ford Festiva or Kia Pride part diagrams. I wonder if there is a corresponding Mazda 121 or Protege part number?
        This afternoon I went to the Mazda dealer parts counter and got a printout of the Protege diagram. I also ordered 2 of the part number that I think is the boot, in addition to some of the bushing and bolt parts (ordered some extras).
        They will be at the dealer Thursday. I hope they are the correct one.
        I have attached a copy of the diagram and my invoice.

The part that I ordered 46-081 is the 5th part down from the top circled in the diagram. It is shown going over the top of the gear shift so it would need to be stretched over the ball.

I will re-post here on Thursday and let you know if it is the correct part.

Comment

That is similar to the Ford Festiva exploded parts view. I don't think it can stretch over the ball. It has to go on from the bottom. I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it's a different part. Let us know. Thanks.

Comment

I just installed the two plastic bushings # 46-062 on Aqua. They fit into the bottom tube of the shifter. They fit tight, but I got them in.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Feels like a new Aqua now! No more sloppy butter churn!

(Ahem, I forgot the lockwasher on the bolt. Gotta put the car up again and install that.)

If you're hard up for $$ and you still want a tighter feeling shifter, just try these bushings first and see how it does. Apparently that's all Aqua needed. All the metal parts are "good enough."

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The Boot (Part 46-081) in the diagram fits

That is similar to the Ford Festiva exploded parts view. I don't think it can stretch over the ball. It has to go on from the bottom. I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it's a different part. Let us know. Thanks.
              Not Disappointed.

The parts came today and my shifter is already rebuilt and feel like it did driving it out of the show room.

The boot is show in the diagram on the top of the shift, but it has to go on over the bottom. I added a little Duron Plastic Steel to seal to the bottom of the stabilizer plate also (although it stays up OK without it).

Also cut off the bradded bolt that attaches the shifter linkage bar to the front universal bracket, put bushings in it and replaced the bradded stud with a bolt.

See my previous post for the diagram and the Mazda invoice.

Comment

Repost for easy reference from other similar threads.

Comment

I just ordered two boots with the identical part number from the Mazda dealership around the corner from me. They cost $4.45 each. Thanks.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 04-09-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I just ordered two boots with the identical part number from the Mazda dealership around the corner from me. They cost $4.45 each. Thanks.
                    Great... Wish the diameter of the steel ring on the boot was a littler smaller though. If it was the boot could be put into the shifter housing cylinder thru the top and there would be no need to glue it to the stabilizer plate on the bottom.
                    At first I tried to put one of the boots in that way and ruined it by running a screwdriver thru the rubber. (But to do this of course you would have to take the shifter assembly apart.) Anyway works fine put on from the bottom.

Good luck with your.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                      The part that I ordered 46-081 is the 5th part down from the top circled in the diagram.
                      OK, so part # "B455-46-090" is identical to 46-081. Got it. Thx!
                      Last edited by Twistiva; 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM.
                      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

The Protege boot is slightly larger (43.6mm) than the Festiva boot (40mm) and is not interchangeable. It will not fit down the hole.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I'm a little confused here.
                          Is there a 40mm boot with part number "B455-46-090" that is available at Mazda?
                          Or is the Protege boot the only one available and we have to continue to put it on underneath and glue it?

Comment

I made a big mistake in not ordering the entire Kia shifter assembly from Four Green. I will order it on my next order. The lower boot does not show on the Ford or Kia exploded part views. I will try doing a reverse search for "boot" on the Four Green site.

Comment

For all those Festiva owners with torn lower shifter boots, the proper replacement Kia Pride factory part number is KKY0146090 ($1.24).
                              I just repaired my shifter.
                              Also my lower ball seat was cracked and worn. I replaced that also ($0.83). Can you say like new again?

Would any other members want to buy these important parts from me if I ordered ten sets of these + shipping at cost from Lewiston, New York?

Comment

Working...
                              X