Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Value Clean Up

EGR Value Clean Up 88Lx , ( 1 of 3)

…. In continuing with the next general maintenance, after approximately 480,000 miles, is the EGR value. The first pic (1) is the intake manifold casting WITH the stainless steel gasket still attached, on the timing belt side next to the fire-wall. And the engine was still running very well just the way it was but not quite 100 %!
    …. Second Pic (2), the inside of the actual EGR value. Believe it or not the diaphragm is still functional, that is just the diaphragm, I could move it freely with my finger tips 180 degrees apart up and down.
    …. In view of the fact, I can only post Two (2) pics with one (1) posting and I don't want to make three (3) independent postings. I'll continue with two (2) more postings in this thread.

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

EGR Value Clean Up

EGR Value Clean Up 88Lx , ( 2 of 3)

…. Continuing with the third (3) pic, this is the inside of EGR value and the stainless steel gasket after being cleaned up. I had to scrape and dig the carbon off and use a very small wire bush gently in cleaning the value out. The screw head you see in the pic next to the stainless steel gasket is attached to the EGR value itself and is used to retain the small right angle vacuum tube. Had to put the unit in a vice with a block of wood on both sides and use penetrant and a hand impact screw driver with a hammer, eventually, with patience and time getting that screw out. The vacuum tube was so packed with carbon I had to drill from both ends to clear the pipe. Got everything cleaned up and lubricated with liquid wrench and Kroil's.
    …. Fourth pic (4), The carbon was so impacted into the manifold I had to use an approximate 3/8” extra long drill and screw driver about five (5) inches long to clean out the hole closest to the fire wall. I began to think I was managing a mining operation, that is how deep and impacted the carbon was inside that manifold. The other hole forward of the other was shallow and cleaned up reasonably good. Anyhow, got it all; scraped, wire brushed and cleaned up.

Comment

EGR Value Clean Up

EGR Value Clean Up 88Lx , ( 3 of 3)

…. The last pic #5, everything was reassembled and went together very well. Put a dab of anti seize compound on each of the 10MM bolts and just snug-ed them, not too tight.

…. My suggestion after all this would be to do this about every 100,000 miles.

Comment

Wow man super detailed walk through w/ pics! Great job
        Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

Be careful not to knock and carbon down into the engine block. Can stuff a rag into the holes while cleaning around them.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            Be careful not to knock and carbon down into the engine block. Can stuff a rag into the holes while cleaning around them.
            Well there is no real worry of that, the other end of the passage is under the carburator in the intake. The worst that could happen is you chase it into the intake and it gets flushed with fuel and air into the cylinder and burnt up.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

If you look you can see the flange that boydg1 cleaned up and did a very nice job of posting. If you follow the cast tube all the way to the carb opening you will see a small bump in the casting, that is where the EGR port shown in boydg1's picture turns down into the opening in the intake plenum. At 360k this one was plugged slam up too, it was built up to almost half way across the run. Hope your runs better, I will know how mine does here in a few days after I get my b3 bolted back in and fired up.

http://
              Last edited by kartracer46; 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Nice pics and write-up guys! I should probably do this to wife's car as well, even though its only at 180k. Thanks!
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  Nice pics and write-up guys! I should probably do this to wife's car as well, even though its only at 180k. Thanks!

boydg1 did all the work, I was just adding a pic to show where it led to.
                  91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                  85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                  X