Removing oxygen sensor from exhaust manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing oxygen sensor from exhaust manifold

Any tips on removing the original o2 sensor that is stuck in there pretty good?

Seems like a lot of people have trouble with these. Start with a breaker bar that will give you plenty of grip and control... 18" or greater should be plenty. Warm the car up for a few minutes first if it's really stuck in there... a little heat will help. Propane/torches can help if you're careful and have proper safety equipment. Lubrication/penetrating fluid can work too in conjunction with the above recommendations.

Chasing and cleaning up the threads of the sensor is always a good idea, and if you plan to re-use the sensor, clean it up also. Since the oxygen sensor is exposed to high heat in the exhaust system to the car, the main contaminant likely to be present is a thick layer of baked carbon on the sensor tip, which doesn't dissolve easily in any solvents, including gasoline. So one way to clean O2 sensor with this carbon deposit is to heat the oxygen sensor tip with a blow torch (like propane). Expose the sensor tip to the torch till it's about to turn red, then dip the sensor tip quickly into water followed by cleaning the tip by blowing compressed air. This will make the carbon deposit to break free. Do this a few times until its all cleaned up.

If you are inserting a new or cleaned up O2 sensor, do yourself a favour and clean your VAF (electric parts cleaner) and throttle body (carb/brake/whatever cleaner) up too to ensure they're calibrated and in good working order. A can of seafoam here and there will help also. Obviously a quick look at your four fluids, three filters, and electrical system is of use too.
    Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Hammer, penetrating oil, torch, big breaker bar.
      I didn't have much trouble with mine.
      I put an oil pan drain plug in its place.

Comment

And use anti-seize when you reinstall the sensor!

Kozak, why did you substitute a drain pan plug?
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

no ecu

My twin carbs do not require an ECU. The chrome oil plug looks nice until I can get a set of B6 headers.

You can see my plug on the exhaust manifold.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Any thought given to plugging in an EGT or something instead, BK?

Comment

Are you talking about an exhaust gas temperature gauge?
              They are most often used in turbo vehicles.
              I am not going to add any gauges to my dash. I am going to leave it as stock looking as possible.

When I had my CJ-7, I cut the entire dash out and replaced it with about 16 chromed Stewart-Warner gauges. I even monitored obscure stuff such transfer cash oil pressure temperature. I had teflon-lined braided stainless hose with AN fittings for mechanical fuel pressure. It looked like an aircraft cockpit.

Comment

Thanks......

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  Are you talking about an exhaust gas temperature gauge?
                  They are most often used in turbo vehicles.
                  I am not going to add any gauges to my dash. I am going to leave it as stock looking as possible.

When I had my CJ-7, I cut the entire dash out and replaced it with about 16 chromed Stewart-Warner gauges. I even monitored obscure stuff such transfer cash oil pressure temperature. I had teflon-lined braided stainless hose with AN fittings for mechanical fuel pressure. It looked like an aircraft cockpit.
                  Yep, but they have their uses in naturally aspirated vehicles as well. They can indirectly serve the similar function of a wideband, because gas temperature can indicate times when the engine goes too rich and lean. I'm right up your alley about gauges... I'm probably going to be a glove box gauge man myself haha.

Comment

I'm going to have voice activated guages.

Me: "Oil temperature please!"

Sexy female oil temp guage voice: "Oh Karl, I'm at seventy seven degrees and getting HOTTER!"

And so forth...

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                      I'm going to have voice activated guages.

Me: "Oil temperature please!"

Sexy female oil temp guage voice: "Oh Karl, I'm at seventy seven degrees and getting HOTTER!"

And so forth...

Karl
                      "I am well lubricated, thank you, Aaron." HAHAHA awesome.

Comment

1991 festiva cl oxygen sensor removal

I cannot get a wrench or socket on the sensor on mine. No room to get a bar on even if i could get a wrench on it.
                        Is a special tool needed, or available?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

If you cut the wire, jack your car up and get to it from underneath, you can use a socket and breaker bar or use half inch rachet and a steel bar
                          from under car. Be sure car is solid.
                          Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                          93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                            Any tips on removing the original o2 sensor that is stuck in there pretty good?
                            Torch
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                            X