This Helped My Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Helped My Car

I don't know how many people have ever used Gunk, Motor Flush but it worked great in the motor for the grey ghost. I didn't do exactly as instructions said, like put in motor when its cold, run for 5 minutes, drain, new filter and oil. I let my motor run for awhile and get up to operating temp cause usually when I started the car when it was cold out, the lifters would clatter until the oil got warmed up and and motor got warmed up. So anyway, i warmed it up first, put it in, let it stay in at idle speed for fifteen minutes instead of 5 (I know I was taking a chance) and then drained it out, put new filter and oil in. Well, it's been almost a month now and it has been cold here in Colorado and I can go out and start the car up and there is absolutely no clattering whatsoever. I still let it warm up after I start it and I'm still using same kind of oil,penszoil 10-30 but it does not clatter when started and I've gone out there at night when it's below freezing and start it up. I'll let you know if it starts clattering again, but just wanted to let you know about this motor flush results.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

I've never used it, but a guy I worked with at a local Boron gas station used it every oil change on a '68 Camaro and later on a '74 Nova. Never had any problems with either cars.

Comment

It does work. You just have to be careful if your motor has a lot of sludge. It can work it all out and plug oil filters, passages & such. In a situation like yours, it can work wonders. Glad to hear it helped your HLA issues.
      If you change the oil as soon as it just starts to get dark so you can't read the dipstick through it (but no more than 3K miles), it should stay clean progressively longer with each change & noise free for a long time.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Thanks for the info. Since it did help it this time I may go ahead and use it about every third oil change
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

On old, high mileage engines, if the engine needs gaskets or seals but doesn't leak (yet), this stuff can remove the sludge that was stopping a leak.

This is how I discovered that I needed a new valve cover gasket.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I have seen sludge poor out cause of this stuff. Great product.
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

And of course there is that too, lol. But I've always changed my oil about every third or fourth month before it started getting dirty. I think there may have been just enough sludge in the lifters and this removed it. I will just have to see what happens. If they don't start clattering, I probably wont push my luck and just keep oil clean.
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

milehigh, next oil change, use GTX highmilage, little to no burn off. pennspoil burns off exccessively compaired to GTX (it's my experiance, and what i tell my customers with older cars)
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  milehigh, next oil change, use GTX highmilage, little to no burn off. pennspoil burns off exccessively compaired to GTX (it's my experiance, and what i tell my customers with older cars)
                  Never used GTX, but I've had several people tell me in the last month that they switched from cheap oil to Castrol HM GTX in older cars and the oil consumption was reduced to almost nothing. I may try it in my B6.......if I ever get it installed. I use Motorcraft in my truck, and it burns zero oil between 5K mile oil changes. It does have a slight lifter tick for the first 5-10 seconds after cold start-up. Maybe some Engine Flush would help.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Re: This Helped My Car

do you think this would help mine? i have a constant lifter tick and im using semi-synthetic 10-30. i hope so.because i dont wanna replace the lifters

170k+ B3 Festiva L slo-kart.

Comment

I used it every other oil change on Bruce and that engine is now in FestivaFreds 89L and (I believe) running strong.
                      Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

good to know, ill probably add a bottle and do an oil change tomorrow.

Comment

so i add it, let it run for 5-10 minutes and then do an oil change?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            If you want to put dog poop in your engine , use Pennsoil.

GTX FTW.
                            Last edited by PhoenixSHO; 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Geeeez looked all over for this product at my usual stops.Of course O'Rielys has it which is the furthest for me. Im going to try it in my new Aspire ATX "Whitey". I think this engine will be a perfect candidate for the following reason. This engine has had the wrong thermostat in it for an unknown amount of miles.:nono: When I bought him I couldn't get any heat,only after idilng for 30 minutes would it finally creep up to hot. So after replacing the thermostat the oil which was never changing color(always looked gold & new). The oil finally started to turn dark,so my guess is that this 1.3 has sludge build up.Not to mention I have lifter clatter/engine miss at idle(hot or cold). This is a great engine otherwise,good compression pulls very strong up to rev limit and the oil hasn't gone down after 2500k of driving.Wish me luck & I'll report back,worse cash scenario I'll change the lifters,which I usually do anyways. But I want to see how this stuff works. I find it odd that the OP said they recommend you add it to a "COLD ENGINE",but against Red Green's instructions.I WILL follow the directions.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X