Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stroger spider gear optionsfor the g25mr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroger spider gear optionsfor the g25mr?

i just sheared off a few teeth on my spider gears. im running a bp+t big 16 g g25mr trans... any one know of a good after market set?
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Might be time to look into the toyota trans swap.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Maybe a welded Mazdaspeed LSD? http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12389 There is some info on it there.

you can buy it here
      Made to exacting specifications, this MAZDASPEED LSD should provide excellent traction control for your vehicle. Bolt and nut kit for type-g. Limited slip differential applications to protege and mx 3.
      Last edited by codex; 11-05-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

mfactory lsd, problem solved

Comment

Yeah but then what's the weak point?
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

trans case, gears, axles, never ending. your best odds are a kia trans with a mfactory lsd. the kia trans is a little more stout in the caseing to help prevent the trans from flexing,cracking, or stipping gears

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
              Might be time to look into the toyota trans swap.
              Maybe if you do a tube chassis front end. That trans is massive.

Theres a guy with a laser in australia thats running 10s on stock gears, welded diff and a "plate mod". Search on club protege theres a few topics about it there.
              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                mfactory lsd, problem solved
                ^ +1...or for a little less money, you could send the side gears, all the thrust washers, the pinion gears and pinion pin to "300 below" in Decatur, Illinois for cryo treatment: www.300below.com Talk to Rob Jenkins, he'll take good care of you.
                Tell him I sent you.

When I did mine, the price was like $75 for up to 20 pounds of stuff.
                That list I just made you is only about 5 pounds of stuff, so feel free to add other gears or shift gate or forks or what ever you need made tougher for no extra money.
                Last edited by iceracerdude; 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                  ^ +1...or for a little less money, you could send the side gears, all the thrust washers, the pinion gears and pinion pin to "300 below" in Decatur, Illinois for cryo treatment: www.300below.com Talk to Rob Jenkins, he'll take good care of you.
                  Tell him I sent you.

When I did mine, the price was like $75 for up to 20 pounds of stuff.
                  That list I just made you is only about 5 pounds of stuff, so feel free to add other gears or shift gate or forks or what ever you need made tougher for no extra money.
                  how well does that work? does it really make a difference?

Comment

Do research on "cryogenic treatment" for automotive parts and see what they say.
                    Those gears are "case hardened" at best, and once they start chipping off, it kinda "snowballs" from there. Once a tooth chips off, it invaribly flys into the next tooth, sometimes it just bounces off, sometimes it bounces around till it knocks other teeth out, then works it's way into the fluid and eventually over to the magnet.
                    Shot peening parts, cryo treating parts, all have an effect, but what you have to realize is, you can't make those little gears or that pinion pin any bigger. Sometimes a larger trans is an option, but when it's not, what can you do.
                    I have had my trans apart since I've had my gears cryo'd and was surely interested in seeing exactly how much wear I sustained, and was very pleased with what I found.
                    They still looked this good, and remember, this is with a phantom grip accentuating friction!:

I had these cryo'd, then ground them to fit the phantom grip, then degaussed.
                    Right! bet you never even thought of doing that.

This is what the side gears looked like unmodified from the factory:

Yeah, of course the factory just case hardening them is cheaper to do, and is fine for low performance really.
                    Last edited by iceracerdude; 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM.
                    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

gear fix

supper glue duck tape, and a F-uped clown that will fix er. yepers. good luck on finding the best fix for the white racer. see u a round.

Comment

par-engineering.com sells custom straight cut gearsets. extremely pricey tho.... can get a custom 5th gear ratio tho

Comment

i think i found the problem... the tranny shop told me to run 75/90 in my trans... its supposed to have atf in it according to ford... oil too thick= not enough lubrication=metal to metal sehearing off gears... im running redline atf for manual transmissions in it now... i was noticing that with the 75/90 it was hard to shift. with the redline its back to smooth operation...ill find out if the diff holds at the track on wed
                          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bandunga View Post
                            par-engineering.com sells custom straight cut gearsets. extremely pricey tho.... can get a custom 5th gear ratio tho
                            The gears arent the problem its the case. The case flexes and allows the gears the strip. The straight cut gears will stop this but they create more stress on the case and the gear shafts usually end up sticking through the bellhousing.
                            Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                              i think i found the problem... the tranny shop told me to run 75/90 in my trans... its supposed to have atf in it according to ford... oil too thick= not enough lubrication=metal to metal sehearing off gears... im running redline atf for manual transmissions in it now... i was noticing that with the 75/90 it was hard to shift. with the redline its back to smooth operation...ill find out if the diff holds at the track on wed
                              Wow I'd tell that shop to pay to fix it. Our trannies take ATF not gear oil.

I went to pennzoil synchromesh and havent looked back.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                              X