Rolling on side for repair work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling on side for repair work...

Instead of working to replace my hard brake and fuel lines under the car while lying on my back with limited room (albeit my HF 6 ton jackstands provide a little more room than normal), I'm planning on rolling Aqua on her right side tomorrow morning.

Engine and trans are out; radiator and crossmember are out; gas tank is out; interior is out (except for the dash and two front seats); and all the exhaust and suspension is off the car. Rear bumper is off, too.

I'll roll the right side window down and remove the right side rear window so no pressure will bear on these fragile pieces. I'll also remove the hatch to get rid of some more weight. The car will be on its side for maybe a week or two while I redo the hard lines and anything else that comes to mind.

I'm going to lower the car now. The right side bottom will be on the ground pads I'll put down (cardboard and "puzzle style" floor mats) while the left side bottom will be on regular 2.5 ton jackstands. Then I'll probably use a 4 by 4 by 8 foot long board to lever it up and over, with old tires in place on the ground to help arrest any "over roll." My Dad will be here to help out, but I'm thinking with the leverage and careful work, it won't be a matter of force so much as leverage and cushioning.

Any thoughts?? Anyone else ever do this for repair purposes?

I know Neanderpaul has flipped one on its side. I don't think it will cause much damage to the right sheet metal. Maybe some small wrinkles, but those will simply add some more character. I think Aqua will last me a few more years, and she ain't meant to win car shows.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

go to a thrift shop and pick up some blankets or couch cushions. doesn't seem like it'll do any harm to lay it on it's side. what about the driver's side mirror?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Driver's side mirror will be pointing to the heavens! No right side mirror. My Mutts don't have right side mirrors.

Depending on how things look, I may end up propping her at an angle, supported by her right rocker panel area on the right and some posts or something safe on the left. That way I would avoid wrinkling the side at all.

I'll use plenty of padding to spread out the weight on the rocker panel area so it won't dent.

Karl

Comment

didn't catch that part! haha, well sounds like you've got a pretty good plan. we'll need pictures though!
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Yep! I need to document the "partial resurrection" of Muttstiva by supplying most of Aqua's spare parts: Aspire suspension and brakes, right door, carpet, driver's seatbelt (bought from Ford in 2001 to replace the bad original), probably transmission and clutch, and I don't know yet what else.

Oh yeah I do--the front seats with tie dye seat covers!!

I have a B6 in the garage I need to check out. I pulled it from a 'yard at least three years ago. If it turns, it's getting new seals, water pump, timing belt, etc. and going in!

If it needs more than that, then I'll see if I can grab something fresher and reliable in a B6 or even a B8. If not, the original B3 was quite peppy. It'll get the seal and water pump treatment and be put back in as a last resort.

Karl

Comment

If you prop it at an angle be very careful! Don't want it coming back down on you.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Oh no I don't! I'll be very careful. If I prop it like that I may dig a hole for the post: either a 4 by 4 or two 2 by 4s nailed to each other for 4 by 4 thickness. And some guy wires!

The whole thing will be covered with a large tarp when I'm not working on her.

I'm looking forward to this! Gotta get busy. Maybe--probably not, but maybe--she'll be ready for FM4.

Karl

Comment

Be careful! Don't forget how thin the metal is on these cars! My wife was sitting in a lawn chair by my car and just propped her feet up against the side of the passenger's door. It ended up leaving a slight dent in the side (no impact, just from the light pressure).

I just hate to see you create more body work for yourself.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I'd put a safety rope on the other side tied to a big peg in the ground or similar.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Brian, extra dents are the least of my problems, which include some serious rot ahead of the rear wheel wells.

WW, I was thinking along those lines (no pun intended).

Remember, I'm the Safety Guy; I HAVE to be careful!!

Karl

Comment

I've rolled a number of Festies over on their back while disassembling them. Without the motor, a couple of guys can do it easily.

Have you though about tipping it up onto one END, i.e. on to one of the bumpers, thereby avoiding any risk of damagine sheetmetal or glass? If you found a nice strong tree to do it under, you could probably use a block and tackle with about an 8:1 mechanical advantage quite easily.

Or, borrow somebody's construction crane for the day. Nobody's building anything these days anyway.

I'd think tipping it up onto the rear bumper would be best since that end seems stronger than the front (which is designed to crumple on impact).

Another idea might be to remove both bumpers and use those hard points to mount it to a pair of large rotating "engine stands."
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg
                      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I really like the engine stand idea. The medium size from HF would seem to be perfect for this: 1000 pound capacity and the height seems doable. I can get them for $40 each with coupons. I would only have to buy one since I already have one.

Karl

Comment

Whoopsy doodle diddlely doo!

Done and later stabilized on ground. My Dad helped. Wasn't too hard.

Karl

Comment

How long did it take you to do that and get it stabilized?
                            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                            Projects in the works:
                            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Nice!
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X