Festiva no start issue, includes fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva no start issue, includes fix

I will try to keep this as short as possible.
    I drove my tiva (92 L bone stock, 5spd) about 90 miles to watch drag races, when I tried to start it to leave it would only crank, checked and found no spark.....sigh
    Biglay5150 came to the rescue and towed it to my shop, Thanks a bunch!!

Checked all the basics, main fuses good, timing belt ok and in time, cam turning, rotor good, cap good.

I found the main battery ground cable and the smaller ground with it just hanging, the bolt had backed out at some point. cool, install new bolt....still nothing.

Test the distributor, it fails. cool, order one in and just because I test it and its perfect, install it and still nothing.

Test the coil, it checks out perfect.

Test the ignition module (ignitor) it fails as well, order a new one, still nothing.

We hook our Genisys up and look for any codes, nothing shows.

I was setting in the car tracing wires to test and my buddy was looking under the hood, I out of the blue see the check engine light pop on (key was on) I asked what he did. The cel had never worked even when you turn the key to the on position, I had replaced the bulb, didn't think anything of it, the car ran great and I had put about 1k miles on it.
    He had unplugged the VAF, plugged it in and the light went out, hmmmmm...... we unplugged it and checked for spark, it was great.
    The VAF was killing the cel circuit and the ignition circuit.
    Biglay5150 came to the rescue again with a VAF unit, I made sure to have a 6 pack on hand when he showed.

We put it in and the car was finally fixed.

Best we figure is that some how with no ground it took out the dist, module and vaf.

I got this car and never had a chance to go over it before I had to put it into commuter service. Lesson learned.....always check em out good.

Lots of little boring stuff left out but I hope this will help someone in the future.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

What is the VAF ???

Comment

VAF = Vain Air Flow on Festiva

Does same job as MAF, but uses different mechanism to tell ECU how much air is being pulled in and then how much fuel to inject.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
      X