alternator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator problems

hello, introduce myself first, I am Bernard and I'm from chile, I have a 95 kia pride, my big problem is ... my alternator is too small and does not charge my battery completely 55A.
    There is some kind of alternator that can be put in my car, some alternative

thanks

Maybe you just need a new alternator? If that is the original one that is in your car.

Are you using a powerful radio and speaker system? That may draw more amps than your stock alternator can handle.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I've heard that the alternator from a Mazda MPV (1991) works, bolt on, and produces 70amp
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

thanks for your opinions, I hope to find a Mazda MPV

... yes, I have car audio ...
        so I want a bigger alternator

Comment

Or a mazda protege alt works too!!

Comment

and mazda 323?

Comment

Originally posted by jdcrack View Post
              and mazda 323?
              Yes. If your car is FI, it's a straight hook up. If it's carbed, you will have to make up a pigtail to connect the car wiring to the alt. My 89 (carbed) is running a 323 alt. right now.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

^^Yes a mazda 323 will work too

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                  Yes. If your car is FI, it's a straight hook up. If it's carbed, you will have to make up a pigtail to connect the car wiring to the alt. My 89 (carbed) is running a 323 alt. right now.

And since do I connect the alternator?

Comment

? my new alt get very hott cause i run the fan but nothing else on so its stays at c what year can i put my car is 88 and 89 carbed and i just wana know the exact alt amps for the 323 i dont wana blow anything up
                    FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

higher amperage output can NEVER hurt your car as you draw amps, not push them.

example: engine running at idle, no lights or radio, carbie. this would normaly only draw about 20 amps, leaving 35amps available for the extras. voltage to the battery 13.9vDC. now add headlights, radio, blower motor, wipers (typical rain at night senario) now you're drawing 50+ amps... at the alt's limit. votage to battery is still 13.9vDC if you were to upgrade to the 323 alt (73amp) you'd then have another 20 amps of headroom.

the only way to hurt your car is to full-field the alt causing as much as 19vDC to be pushed into the car (bad), you can do this by removing the negative battery lead form the battery while the engine is running DON'T DO THIS EVER!

BWT, this is my 4000th post!!!! (go me)
                      Last edited by FestYboy; 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: woot!
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post

the only way to hurt your car is to full-field the alt causing as much as 19vDC to be pushed into the car (bad), you can do this by removing the negative battery lead form the battery while the engine is running DON'T DO THIS EVER!

BWT, this is my 4000th post!!!! (go me)
                        I used to do that all the time to test alternators. I don't anymore, but I was always lucky not to have anything go wrong. I DID see someone else do it once though, and all was lost....
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

If you are going to draw a lot of amps for your stereo system, or lights, you need to upgrade the output (B+) wire to 4Ga. Stereo power wire with inline fuse, directly to your battery. Remove the original one.

Comment

Working...
                          X