custom hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom hitch

I bought a hitch cover on the Bay and need to have it installed on my Festiva for the Woodward cruise. The problem is, it was designed for a 2" Class III receiver. Since I will never ever tow anything with my Festiva, I do not require it to be bolted to the rear bumper or to both rear tow hooks. Besides. It would look ugly going around my polished stainless Bosal muffler.

I decided to start by mounting the receiver to a ring, mounted on the spare tire well.

Picked up the ring today. I had it cut from 1/4" hot rolled steel. It is 20" outer diameter and 16" inner diameter.

My next post will show how I mount it. Now to drill some holes on my 22" drill press.

receiver

I picked up my Curt receiver today at Hitch City. E-9 \ 49060

Ready to assemble

Check for clearance on the hardened locking pin. No problems.

Next to buy a .25" X 2.5"W x 29"L flat stock and weld.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM.

Comment

drill press time

I decided to drill six X 7/16" holes today. I first laid the ring inside my spare wheel well and marked where the depressions were. ( I need all the clearance I can get for my Aspire space saving spare.)

I then clamped the circle on my Craftsman 20" drill press and proceeded to drill and chamfer each hole.

I laid it back down in my spare tire well and drilled through the sheet metal.
      Notice there are two places where I didn't drill. That is where the 1/2" X 2.5" bar will be welded

Then I went underneath and did a trial fit to see what length I will cut the spacers to.
      I have decided on 1/2" spacers. To clear one of the large rubber hole plugs.

I will finish welding and painting it up this week.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 05-15-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

looks real good. cant wait to see it finished. might steal this idea from you. my dad is a welder and we were just gonna weld something up. but be nice to be able to uninstall it whenever needed.

Comment

Sweet, can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the good work
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

almost finished

Primed and painted my hitch today.
            It's getting close to installation time.

Comment

How much to reproduce those?
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

heavy

This hitch is made with hot rolled steel (for ease of painting). You should be able to reproduce it locally. I bought the steel at the Metal Supermarket and walked the piece over to the machine shop two doors away in the same plaza to have it plasma cut. It's just a simple circle with a piece of flat stock welded in line with the tailgate latch. I had it welded at a custom metal fence fabricator in the same industrial units where I work. It would cost more to package and ship than what the fabrication costs. Material cost was about $45. The 6" Curt receiver was $30 at Hitch City. Fabrication was about $50.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

rtba

What do you think about sticking on a decal from the Bay to match my hitch cover?

Comment

Working...
                  X