How to install a stock antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install a stock antenna

Tragically, two of my Festys did not come from the factory with radios, so they didn't have stock antennas. Both cars had radios in them when I got them, but the POs used some random antennas they just put inside the car, laying them on the floor. (One car--Casper--I was able to get rid of, to some unsuspecting guy in FL.)

But the other car (Kittystiva) I decided needed an actual Festiva antenna. I have two, one black and one chrome. I installed the chrome one. After some trial and error, I found that this method worked well and fairly quickly.

PARTS
    one Festiva antenna
    one typical wire coat hanger
    #2 Phillips screwdriver
    needle-nose pliers
    one 12 oz beer
    duct or masking tape
    zip ties + something to cut them
    (optional) another beer

PROCEDURE
    1. If you too have a radio with a jerryrigged antenna, remove the antenna. Then remove the piece of duct tape or the antenna delete plate covering the antenna hole on the A pillar, where it meets the roof.
    2. Unwind the coat hanger so it is a straight piece. Do not cut it, since you will need all of its length.
    3. Drink 1/3 to 1/2 of the beer.
    4. To the left of the hood release handle is a small hole, about 2/3" diameter. Feed the coat hanger up that hole to the hole up on the A pillar. Extract a couple of inches of the hanger with the needle-nose pliers. There should still be a couple of inches of hanger sticking out of the bottom hole as well.
    5. Tape the end of the antenna wire (the piece that fits into the radio) to the coat hanger end which is sticking out of the top of the A pillar. Then draw the wire, and eventually the antenna piece itself, down into the A pillar, by pulling on the coat hanger where it is still sticking out of the little hole at the bottom. This will take a bit of twisting around to get it in, especially when the white plastic antenna sheath hits the bend in the body at the bottom of the A pillar.
    6. Pull the coat hanger completely out of the little hole at the bottom, with the antenna wire still attached. The needle nose or some other pliers will come in handy here.
    7. The hard part is now done. Once I realized that this is the way to do it, Steps 5 and 6 took about 5-10 minutes.
    8. Secure the antenna at the top of the A pillar with two screws; stick the antenna wire into the radio, and test the radio. Reinstall the radio and zip-tie the antenna wire under the dash.
    9. Congratulate yourself on being an genius, which is not appreciated at all by your wife, and drink the rest of the beer. Drink the optional beer as well, if you are so inclined.
    Last edited by TominMO; 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Good write up Tom. Should help a few.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

i would be really interested in the antenna delete plate if you still have it...
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Great Writeup! Thanx!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
          i would be really interested in the antenna delete plate if you still have it...
          PM me your address and it's on its way.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

i have an antenna from a 05 focus lol with the little tip in the center old antenna hole capped off with welded metal and body filler up and sides repainting again but yeah a focus ant works nice to
            bad cause u gota take the top down and right windows plastic piece to install it
            FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

^^ I want to do the same, I like the looks of the antenna in the middle of the roof better.
              -Josh R

Comment

i got one from the junk yard took it out myself was a pain tho but it was worth it cost me $20 but i say nice for my new radio i bought
                FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Working...
                X