OSX! OhioStiva Ten Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSX! OhioStiva Ten Planning Thread

Well folks, this is now our fifth year of Ohiostivas since the first Fall Fling in 2005. I just dug out my Pavilion Reserved signs and the Spring Fling was held on the following dates:

5/20/'06
    5/12/'07
    5/24/'08
    5/23/'09

This year we're having it on MAY 29th. That's 5/29/'10, just under 12 weeks away! Due to the gains of the Festiva Madness meet, we're no longer the biggest, but I think we're the longest running meet around and our Spring Flings have all included an annual 90 mile convoy from Summit Racing parking lot to our cookout spot at Moraine State Park in PA.

The first Fall Fling was pretty modest. We met at Summit and drove a short way to a local Wendy's to eat.

I still remember the excitement of the first Spring Fling, when we had a decent sized convoy and had a chase car that took pictures.

Although I'm often considered the "organizer" of Ohiostiva, I really don't do a lot. The cooperation, guidance and ideas we've had from FF.COM owner Brian to everyone who just shows up has made us successful. So feel free to participate here whether you are brand new or an old hand.

Now it's time to begin planning for this year's spring fling. One thing I'd like to improve upon from last is our convoy prep. We had some GPS people who took a diiferent route and we had one or two breakdowns: one temporary and one more serious. However, we got through it and still had a great time.

This year let's try to make it a bit smoother running and I'll propose the following to start with:

1. Have printed maps for most, if not all cars. Old tech I know, but it keeps us all on the "same page" (literally!). One way would be to put up a good map link from this site so folks can print out their own.

2. If we have more than about ten cars, divide up into two even elements with a good distribution of tools and repair knowledge to help out any stragglers as efficiently as possible.

3. Begin the convoy with a safety briefing so everyone understands how the convoy will be handled and what to do in case of emergency. Cell phone numbers and walkie call signs would be given out as well so everyone knows who to call.

Let's talk about these ideas and get any others proposed. There's plenty of time and most of us have done this before, so it shouldn't be too unwieldy. Once we get the nuts & bolts down here, we'll do a preparation thread around the end of April to see who's coming (though you can certainly say so here).

We have a lot of fun at our meets, but if something really bad were to happen, it could not only impact us, but also make the news and call unwanted attention to not only our forum, but also other car groups.

Why do you think I'm called the Safety Guy?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Good advice Karl,

At Area 241
    We have our briefing concerning route and who the lead and wingman cars are
    Handout 2 way radios, with agreed upon com channel for the lead and wingman cars.
    Then disperse extra two way radios among the rest of the cars.
    Cell phone numbers are exchanged between all convoy members with cell phones.
    We do not breakup, no one will be left behind.
    Everyone will stop to lend assistance and a plan devised to get passengers and cars to a safe location.
    I think last Spring fling we had in excess of 12 cars in the convoy up to Summit and back to Area 241 from the Park, without casualties.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

May 29th written on the work calender... let the festiva meets for this year begin!!

unfortunately, Dane (my boss, white B6t festy) won't be able to make it b/c mem day weekend is one of your busiest weekends of the year... sometime he'll make it to one of these events
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Count me in!! i'll be there one way or another

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Jessie and I will be there. This will be my first Spring meet.

Comment

All good ideas, Karl. You'll make someone a good wife one day.:p

Definitely like the idea of, at the very least, picking a lead car, and a bring up the rear car, just in case.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I can cook, too!

(Microwave cheese dogs.)

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

There was definitely an issue with GPS's picking different routes. I will get the route mapped out that we will ALL follow so that we do not have any mix ups this year. I will get it set up for gps and printed maps for everyone. We can get a list of cell numbers if you like and I will get that list together also.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

i propose that durring a convoy, a mean cruising speed must be maintained AT ALL TIMES (you know who you are....) Lead car calls out the pace, and stays within +/-2mph of that speed, all others are expected to keep up. (except for emergency or construction)
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                    1. Have printed maps for most, if not all cars. Old tech I know, but it keeps us all on the "same page" (literally!). One way would be to put up a good map link from this site so folks can print out their own.

2. If we have more than about ten cars, divide up into two even elements with a good distribution of tools and repair knowledge to help out any stragglers as efficiently as possible.

Why do you think I'm called the Safety Guy?

Karl

#1 I WILL PRINT THEM UP IN CRAYON, for those who can't seem to listen to their GPS devices.

#2 does this mean i have to go to summit this time, that is IF i am going :p

Safety Guy? Really? Where were you last year?
                    I think Rent-A-Wreck has a special on Chrysler products with GPS!!!!!!!!!!

I am the original

Comment

^well just sit at the park while they get lost again.
                      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                        ^well just sit at the park while they get lost again.

i could drive at a safe distance from the pack and catch it all for YouTube

I am the original

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj View Post
                          #1 I WILL PRINT THEM UP IN CRAYON, for those who can't seem to listen to their GPS devices.

#2 does this mean i have to go to summit this time, that is IF i am going :p

Safety Guy? Really? Where were you last year?
                          I think Rent-A-Wreck has a special on Chrysler products with GPS!!!!!!!!!!
                          Originally posted by mechanicaldj View Post
                          i could drive at a safe distance from the pack and catch it all for YouTube
                          REALLY!!! all this coming from a guy that got lost in 400 yards trying to enter a race track to take a couple laps with a group of 12 Festys.... HAHAHA.....I really think you owe John at least one cell phone battery after him trying to even get you to the track to begin with.

As far as You Tube goes.....all one would have to do is stand right there and get you on tape and people would think we found the Missing Link.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

:laughing3::laughing3:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                              REALLY!!! all this coming from a guy that got lost in 400 yards trying to enter a race track to take a couple laps with a group of 12 Festys.... HAHAHA.....I really think you owe John at least one cell phone battery after him trying to even get you to the track to begin with.

i think john got time to recharge his cell phone battery on his trip from Summit to Moraine, which he has DRIVEN BEFORE AND HAD A GPS device TOO.......
                              I think there is more than one missing link here!!!!!!!!

I had bad directions from Yahoo maps, never been to Michigan before and never will go back( Potholes are worse than DC)
                              Last edited by mechanicaldj; 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM.

I am the original

Comment

Working...
                              X