No announcement yet.

Matts B3 build step 1 N/A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800hp festiva, mmmmmm drool 9s anyone maybe some 8s.....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

It'd be sweet... but if only traction was there...
      -Josh R

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva
        Guys I'm not saying don't do a b3. Hell I sprayed, then turboed my b3 before i swapped. I loved the b3. I'm just saying I'd love to see all this custom work go into a bp. 800 hp?
        lol :lol: An 800 hp BP...in a Festiva? Well, if it could be done, and could get traction, I'd call it a deathtrap! haha :p

I'm all for doin the B3! How about the mpg to hp/torque ratio.
        Last edited by thered56; 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I'm glad someone finally took intrest in our little cars. There are things out there for BP's and B6s so let's see something fresh.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

blkfordsedan, yes i've got 2 spring kits, performance 66#-144# or high pressure 88#-175# either run 127.00 per set.
            PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
              I'm aware of the aspire roller rockers. The rocker ratio is the same ,as is roller contact to lobe measurments as the flat slide rocker of festivas. My cams will work with all three types, adjustable rockers bolt right on, hydraulic rockers use supplied lash caps. Using aspire rockers would reduce frictional loses in the valve train.
              Just to be clear, I'm sure the critical dimensions of the ROCKER ARMS are identical between the Festiva & the Aspire "roller" arms. Are you saying that there is no difference in the lobe profile (ramp speed, VT events, etc.) between a Festiva and an Aspire cam? I've never seen an Aspire cam, but I am assuming the Aspire cam profiles are designed specifically for the roller followers, just the same as any other roller cam. I could be 100% wrong on this........but several members here have ran Aspire rollers on a Festiva cam and chewed up the lobes. I always chalked it up to the traditional differences in lobe profile and cam material between roller and flat tappet cams. Your cams will allow the use of roller followers and not chew up the lobes?

What I was suggesting was a custom roller grind on an Aspire blank to use the Aspire roller followers and take advantage of the inherent advantages of a roller cam.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I dont know about the cam profile on the aspire, all i had was 90-93 fi cam cores so thats what went with. my cams are nitrited .030 deep into the lobes after grinding, nothing short of 7 1/2 grinder with a hard wheel should eat the lobes.

Comment

the aspire lobes are shorter than the festys, and the aspire rockers have a SLIGHTLY better ratio than the festys (as measured with a micrometer) so if you can combine the two... (and the carbed cams have more lobe durration at the top than the EFI cams. all as measured with a mic... fo me at least)
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdickmeyer View Post
                    blkfordsedan, yes i've got 2 spring kits, performance 66#-144# or high pressure 88#-175# either run 127.00 per set.
                    Excellent......now if I only knew what I needed! I got a FMS "competition spec" cam and it did not come with any kind of spec sheet. I called them looking for a recommended spring pressure and valve events, but they couldn't tell me. I can mic the cam and measure the rocker arms to determine the valve lift, but without a degree wheel and dial indicator I have no idea of accurate valve events or whether the cam is factory ground advanced or not.
                    I'm thinking the 66/144 would be sufficient...............

A few more questions:

*Do you know the pressures and installed height of the factory springs? (I realize any factory springs you have are probably well used and weak)
                    * max lift before coil bind?
                    * Are they single, stock diameter?
                    * Require any head machining?
                    * Can I use the stock retainers & keepers?
                    * Will factory valves & seats handle the pressure?
                    * If I shipped you my cam, what would you charge to map it with a degree wheel?
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                      Are you saying that there is no difference in the lobe profile (ramp speed, VT events, etc.) between a Festiva and an Aspire cam?

I am assuming the Aspire cam profiles are designed specifically for the roller followers, just the same as any other roller cam.

.....but several members here have ran Aspire rollers on a Festiva cam and chewed up the lobes. I always chalked it up to the traditional differences in lobe profile and cam material between roller and flat tappet cams.

What I was suggesting was a custom roller grind on an Aspire blank to use the Aspire roller followers and take advantage of the inherent advantages of a roller cam.
                      i can help with this : broken in sections for better understanding.

1. the vobe profile of the festy and aspire cams are completly different, period.

2. yes the profiles are ment for the roller tipped rockers, but only in the materials used as far as i can tell. typicaly a roller cam will have a broader lobe tip and faster ramp speed than a tappet lobe, but i don't see this with the aspire cam.

3. I (so far as i know) was the first to attempt the rocker swap in a festy. it worked well for me (over 8000 miles of use) before i switched over to the comp cam and dual springs. that's when i destroyed the lobes. i'm attributing it to higher pressures over a smaller contact patch and cast cam material that lead to the destruction of the cam. i think that if i had used lighter springs, it would still be working.

4. there's no point in using an aspire cam as it has shorter lobes to start with and won't bode well to a regrind (lack of material) that is unless you can weld onto the cam and then reprofile it afterward.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

All b3's have a 1.76 rocker ratio , using a mic is less than accurate.Have found slight discrepancies between rockers though, I measured valve lift devided by lobe lift for this figure. The carbed b3 only appears to have more duration , it only has less lift giving the lobe tip that look . at .050 lift their duration is consentric. Stock spring pressure is 44# - 125#, bind is at .509 , measured on ovate type O.E. springs, Have found some springs to be less,The springs that i have can be used with O.E. retainers. I would profile your cam , no problem! Will give lobe & valve lift, duration @ .050 & lobe separation specs your looking for.

Comment

How's the turbo coming?

Comment

holy resurrection...haven't looked at this thread in quite a while...
                            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

hahahaa oh boy...

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Comment

good post ^^^ I've seen that thread which makes sense why this one wasn't updated.

I love the search feature here too btw, other than the 30 second limit...
                                Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                                X