Cam locked up in head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam locked up in head

Just curious if anybody else has run into this and knows why! Sheared the cam gear bolt off and cams locked up. I have a new head for it but was just wondering what everybody elses experiences have been.
    The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
    1988 LX ~sold~
    1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
    2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
    1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
    2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Might have an oil pressure problem, you might want to put a gauge on it when you start it with the new head to avoid repeating this on the new head.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Warped head?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Sandm849 View Post
        Just curious if anybody else has run into this and knows why! Sheared the cam gear bolt off and cams locked up. I have a new head for it but was just wondering what everybody elses experiences have been.
        Aww man, you had me scared for a second, I thought that was happening with the head I gave you, lol.
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
        1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
        2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
        2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Warped head?
          was my guess
          Or some valve to piston interaction... I hope not

Comment

overheated engine

I am the original

Comment

Originally posted by grey View Post
              was my guess
              Or some valve to piston interaction... I hope not
              These are non-interference engines.
              So even with a broken timing belt at speed there will be no "valve to piston" contact.
              But I know a warped head, from over heating, can bind the cam.
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Whew, for a minute there I thought the title meant Cam Waugh went off his rocker.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My festiva was like this when i got it. And it broke the bolt off that held the cam gear on also. My best guess was that they ran it out of oil and starved the top end of the motor of oil. Cause when i went to take the engine apart, i drained the oil and only got about 1.5qts of oil out of it. Since then i put on a new head,rings,bearings,and all fresh gaskets. it has about 1500 miles on it now with no problems other then the temp senser on the intake gave me a fit.
                  96 Pontiac Firehawk # 48.. 383 stroker
                  81 Buick Regal Limited
                  65 Chevrolet Corvar Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    These are non-interference engines.
                    So even with a broken timing belt at speed there will be no "valve to piston" contact.
                    But I know a warped head, from over heating, can bind the cam.
                    That rule only applies to new engines under ideal conditions. It does not factor in carbon buildup, or coolant leak, or dirt from playing with spark plugs
                    or using "top end cleaner" , ect... Nor does the rule apply to shaved or mis- applied heads.

Comment

That rule only applies to new engines under ideal conditions. It does not factor in carbon buildup, or coolant leak, or dirt from playing with spark plugs
                      or using "top end cleaner" , ect... Nor does the rule apply to shaved or mis- applied heads.
                      Its not a rule!
                      I'm not certain you could "buildup" enough carbon to cause piston valve contact.
                      Coolant leak could could possibly lead to hydro-locking the engine but still not piston valve contact.
                      Same with "top end cleaner".

The only one of these that might cause piston valve contact is the shaved head, but I don't know how much you'd have to take off the head to produce piston valve contact.
                      Way more than would be usual I'm sure.
                      Explain how you could so poorly mount the head that you produce piston valve contact
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Not exactly a B3 but I've seen the cams lock up in a few Ford 4.6 V8's. It's usually due to either running the oil too long between changes in which case it sludges up and restricts oiling or running the oil level too low. Either one can cause lack of oiling at the journals and lock the cams up. I have a 4.6 that came out of a Crown Vic that looks like it may have had the oil changed in it maybe 5 times during it's life. It was pulled because both cams locked up dead tight. I pulled the cams out of curiosity and the journals are FRIED.

Another theory out there (on the 4.6 engine anyway) is the use of the wrong weight of oil. I'm not sure about the B3 engine but 4.6's are specified to run a 5 weight oil (5W20 or 5W30). The theory goes; since the engine is built to tight tolerances and the cams are in the top of the motor, like the B3 cam, Ford specified use of a 5W oil instead of a 10W to insure that oil gets to the cam journals faster during start up. Some of the Mustang guys have accused this of being a possible cause of cam journal failure in the 4.6 motor. But with that being said, I know people who run 10W30 and 10W40 in their 4.6 without any issues so far.
                        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Would you prefer I used the word "term" or "classification" instead of "rule"?
                          As long as the original poster understands, then I dont think it makes any difference which word is used.

Valve to piston contact is possible.

Comment

Ok so by what everybody has seen I should just be able to put a head on and be good to go?
                            The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
                            1988 LX ~sold~
                            1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
                            2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
                            1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
                            2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandm849 View Post
                              Ok so by what everybody has seen I should just be able to put a head on and be good to go?
                              As long as it wasn't locked up due to no oil pressure.
                              Brian
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                              :fish:

Comment

Working...
                              X