Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can i do to enhance my festiva performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can i do to enhance my festiva performance?

I have a 1990 ford festiva L has the 1.3L engine and i was wondering what can i do to make this thing faster? Is there any mods i can to or buy like cam? I was going to put cold air intake on it but what do i do about that air mass flow sensor? or can you get rid of it? any one have any pics of how they done it?
    Thanks,

Can't get rid of the Maf, engine needs it to run properly, there are things to do about it like incorporate it into an intake, or you could be simple and just put an air filter after the Maf. adds lil power but something to do, Also can't ever go wrong with an exhaust system, nice power adder and cheap.
    ***Micah***

"It's like a big lego to me"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3065537

Comment

FMS sells a cam and header for the B3.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by foxracer61 View Post
        I have a 1990 ford festiva L has the 1.3L engine and i was wondering what can i do to make this thing faster? Is there any mods i can to or buy like cam? I was going to put cold air intake on it but what do i do about that air mass flow sensor? or can you get rid of it? any one have any pics of how they done it?
        Thanks,
        Welcome to the site! To save you a verbal spanking from others, let me say this:

The search function is your friend! There is a ton of info (including CAI pics) in this very forum.......and it's only a few keystrokes away!

Now, to answer your questions:

Yes, performance cams are available through Festiva Motorsports. They usually run a special on them on EBay several times a year. They also sell headers for the B3, but I don't know if they have any available now. You can also check the [FS] forum on this site. Occasionally these items show up, or post a [WTB] in the same forum. The easiest and cheapest way to make it faster is an engine swap. Once again, spend an afternoon searching and reading through the appropriate "engine swap" forum.

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Oh Ya forgot about the cam and header from FMS.
          ***Micah***

"It's like a big lego to me"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3065537

Comment

Lot's of nitrous....or, a big turbo, or.......drop it out of a plane..... just kiddin' look around and you find 10+ different motors that will bolt into a festiva. Welcome to the site and put your location in yoour sig. It'll hellp.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

the wrench

hit me up dude. i need a ride in your car. to be convinced, i need to do the swap. tiger.

Comment

For the price of the cam and header, you could get an early ('88 - '89) B6. Bolts right in.

For a little more work and a lot more power, get a B8.
                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

+1 on the B6. Nothing you can reasonably do to the 1.3 will come close to the B6, unless you turbo it for about 100 HP. On the 63 HP 1.3, cam + headers + CAI probably equal about 10 more HP max (73 total); and it is all in midrange and up top. The B6 starts at 82 HP and will give you more low end and midrange, which is more useful. Start with the B6, then do the cam/headers/CAI to get probably 90 - 92 HP. Or B6 + turbo = around 130 HP. Depends on what you want.

I'm planning on rear-turboing my B3 Festiva, and then my B6 323.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 12-24-2009, 05:40 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I believe its been a little while since we had this question.
                    Just a little FYI.
                    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                    - Unknown
                    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

^.... lol i was waiting for it.
                      1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
                      1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
                      1983 Chevy Elcamino
                      1993 Ford Festiva GL
                      2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
                      some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

Where can i get a B6 engine? and how much will this cost me? and are they fuel injected or carb?

Comment

Look for 1988 - 1989 Mazda 323 and Mercury Tracer. Get the engine and the ECU.

Look here --> http://www.car-part.com for engines in your area.
                          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

It's surprising what a lightened flywheel does for an otherwise stock B3's performance.

One of my buddies sez you can take the intake / exhaust cams straight out of an Aspire B3 & drop 'em in the Festy B3 & it gives you 0.005" more lift.
                            Which should produce a tad more HP / torque. It also means you may have to tweak the timing to optimize it.
                            Last edited by sam.1956; 12-24-2009, 10:38 PM.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                            In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Do us all a favor and add your location to your profile. There a good number of us that hit the JYs and PnPs in our area and may be able to point you towards a B6 or B8. Those are going to probably be cheaper alternatives to gaining power than any mods you could do to a B3.
                              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                              - Unknown
                              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                              X