Moms engine in...few probs.Linkage an Pass CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moms engine in...few probs.Linkage an Pass CV

Well,finally got it in and running.When it first starts up runs decent.Once it warms up , you push gas and it wants to stall and revs high.My buddy seems to think CAT is clogged.? Second,shifter linkage,pictured below......Pin in it is loose.Was there a bushing in it or something ? Real sloppy and you have to play with it to get it in gear.It is real loose(where the pin goes in).Not sure if it is the pin or the hole it is in is worn ? Fix ?Also,timing light work good or is there an easier way to time it ?

Pass CV boot was torn , so ,I got new ones(boots).How the heck does the end come off.Book says there is a retainer ring.We cleaned all rease out and we cannot see one.Should I just get a QUICK BOOT ? Pics below..

Book pic...

Misc pics of car so far...

Last edited by TONYCASH; 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM.

I've done quite a few cv's. The end pops off like it pops out of the trans. A good smack with a mallet should knock it off. If a rubber mallet wont do it, use brass. I've had stubborn ones that I use a 3/4" brass punch and hold it as close to the shaft I can. Try to hit the inner race close to the shaft and as parallel to the shaft as you can, then give it a good whack. Its best to have someone hold the end with a towel or be ready to catch it cause it will fly off. I can't offer much on the other issues. Looks like a clean ride.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

the wire ring should be in a groove inside the socket.....looks like you can slightly see it in the pic....a brownish color on the bottom of the socket?
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
        the wire ring should be in a groove inside the socket.....looks like you can slightly see it in the pic....a brownish color on the bottom of the socket?
        We cleaned it out,used a flashlight and two of us could NOT see a ring.!

Comment

the ring is on the inner joint. you take apart the inner then slide the outter boot down over the axle. see in the diagram how the ring is being removed from the inner joint. pop the end off and then take the snap ring off the shaft that holds the cage and ball assy. slide it off.

Comment

If the outer boot is torn you don't need to mess with the inner joint. Take the outer joint off, slide the boot on. Put the joint on. There is a circlip that hold the end on. Just like holds it in the trans.

Use brass. It wont mar the race.
            '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
            '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
            '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
            '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
            '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
            '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
            '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
            X