Check Engine Code List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Engine Code List

Anyone know where I can find a list of code reasons? I saw posts on how to check codes, but not for meaning. I have a 89 Festiva, switched out the transmission but the neutral switch mounted on the transmission by gear selector is damaged. Car starts and operates great, but since the repair now the check engine light is on? Im guessing its because the computer isnt getting a signal from this switch...can anyone tell me if that is correct?

What code are you getting?
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

I havent actually checked codes yet. Just found this site last night while trying to research possible reasons on net. At this point car was fine before, tore out bad transmission, put in new, accidentaly broke wire on neutral switch in process and now when I start car check eng light is on. I will check code tomorrow. Just seeing if anyone shared this experience.

Comment

Assuming since you have an 89 with manual tranny that yours is carbed?
        From my Haynes Manual

Carb Trouble Codes

01- Ignition coil signal

09- Coolant temperature sensor

13- MAP sensor or circuit

15- Oxygen Sensor Malfunction

17-Feedback system

18- Air bleed control valve #1

19- Air bleed control valve #2

20- Air bleed control valve #3

21- Air bleed control valve #4

22- Fuel shutoff solenoid/ circuit

28- EGR vacuum solenoid

29- EGR vacuum solenoid

31- Air Control Valve solenoid

34- Idle-up solenoid

35- Idle-up solenoid

38- EFE heater relay

70- Vacuum switch

EFI Trouble Codes

01- Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (1990-1993)

02- Crankshaft Position Sensor (1990-1993)

03- Cylinder Identification Sensor (1990-1993)

03- Camshaft Position Sensor (1994-later)

04- Crankshaft Position Sensor (1994-later)

06- Vehicle Speed Sensor

08- Airflow sensor (1990-1993)

08- Mass Air Flow Sensor (1994-later)

09- Coolant Temp Sensor

10- Intake Air Temperature Sensor

12- Throttle Position Sensor

14- Barometric Pressure Sensor

15- Oxygen Sensor

16- EGR Valve Position Sensor

17- Oxygen Sensor

25- Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Solenoid

26- Solenoid Valve (purge control)

28- EGR Control Solenoid (1994-later)

29- IAC Solenoid (1994-later)

34- IAC valve (1990-1993)

Don't really see anything here that would pertain to the neutral switch.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I was just being lazy about typing the list! IIRC, it shows code 12 first, then any trouble codes, then 12 again to show end of stored code listing.
          Have owned 9 so far
          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

makin the festy tattle on itself

what is the best way to "make the festy rat out its codes"

And tell me this is easier than trying to get the stupid CV axle(s) out OR finding the HEATER MOTOR -OR- Trying to find out where the stupid O.B.D SENSOR IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better yet

CAN SOMEONE WITH A DIGITAL CAMERA JUST GO SHOOT A PICTURE OF WHERE ALL THIS STUFF IS HIDDEN AND IDENTIFY IT

YEESH

Joe
            Go Ahead and Laugh .....Mines faster,more fuel efficient, ...AND PAID FOR!!!!!

:sign3:

Comment

analogue volt meter will do it. I think you can also just count flashes. It's expalined in the Haynes manual. Mine's at home an I'm at the public library.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

There is a single wire plug (STI connector)that is located near the wiper motor under the hood that needs to be grounded. If you have the "check" light on your cluster, it will flash the codes with the ignition switch on the on position. If you don't have a cluster equipped with the light, you use an analog volt meter and note the sweeps. The connection to the test meter is different color coded wires between FI and Carb cars(STO connector).
                Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Originally posted by festiva joe View Post
                  what is the best way to "make the festy rat out its codes"
                  And tell me this is easier than trying to get the stupid CV axle(s) out OR finding the HEATER MOTOR -OR- Trying to find out where the stupid O.B.D SENSOR IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  The heater motor is under the dash, below the glove box. Page 3-8 in Haynes.
                  OBD-I info is on pages 6-5 to 6-8 in Haynes.
                  I have no experience with the stupid CV axle(s).
                  Last edited by TominMO; 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                    analogue volt meter will do it. I think you can also just count flashes. It's expalined in the Haynes manual. Mine's at home an I'm at the public library.
                    Correct. Connect the positive lead to the STI connector, ground the negative lead. Count the number of times the needle jumps. The first number will be slow jumps/flashes, the second number will be fast. EG, if it's throwing code 34, you'll have 3 slow jumps and 4 fast ones.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Getting a Code 9

Hooked up the jumper wire today and am getting code 09. Coolant sensor? anyone have prior experience with this? Where can I get a sensor, wiring looked ok, guess just replace it???

Comment

It is located on the back side of the engine, under the intake manifold. You may want to check out that connector. It has a fine wire bail that locks it on the sensor. Maybe it is not making good contact. If you need one, they run about 15.00 at most part stores.
                        Last edited by m715; 11-20-2009, 07:34 PM.
                        Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Picked up and replaced coolant sensor....however unfortunately no change in the code. I unhooked the battery and stepped on brake pedal for 5 sec to clear codes, but check eng light immediately comes back on. Reran wire and its blinking out 9 again. Im guessing its a wiring issue. I tried spraying some electrical cleaner on the connection at the sensor but again no change. Anyone have any ideas or good methods to continue the troubleshooting? Thanks. PS My temp guage doesnt move at all. I'm assuming that the coolant sensor on the back of the motor that I just replaced sends the signal for this? Or is there some other component/sensor etc that could also be bad giving the 9 code and not giving a temp reading?

Comment

The gauge is hooked up to the sending unit on the front drivers side of the head, yellow/white stripe wire. The next step is to see if you have 5 volts going out of the brown/red at the sensor to the computer(ECA), if it is less than 5 volts, look for a short in that wire. The next step is to look for a break or short out the other side to the MAP sensor mounted on the firewall next to the three solenoid vales that have vaccum connections that you see attach to the air cleaner. Next is to test the Black/White terminal connection at the MAP to see if you have 12 volts.If not, look for an open circuit to ignition switch. The next steps have you checking all the other wiring from the connectors on the MAP back to the ECA for breaks. Other than those checks, it takes you to a check of the "Main" (center) fuse link wire circuit that distributes power from the block on the drivers side strut tower into the ignition switch, and on to the ECA down the white wire circuit through the "interior" fuse in the fuse panel under the dash.
                            This is the troubleshooting procedure from the shop manual.

HTH
                            Michael
                            Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Does anyone know what the orange/blue wire is for that comes up by the distributor? On my 89 it is just unplugged and I cant find another connector anywhere to plug it into?

Comment

Working...
                              X