Gasoline fumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline fumes

One of my several Festivas has a problem with gasoline fumes entering the passenger area. The fumes are really strong. Not faint and I'm not sure where they're coming from. I do know the top of the fuel tank is sealed good and there are no leaks on the ground.

When the tank is filled past 1/2- 5/8 full is when the odors are overpowering. Below that level, I think the only thing you can smell are residual odors.

Any ideas?

is there a seam that goes around the middle of the tank. If there is, maybe you have a pinhole leak that evaporates or just fumes can get out of.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

^^ What he said. And that seam is a bit prone to rust.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

the vent tube could be pluged or the hose has a hole in it or sumthing

Comment

That's what the problem was with mine...one of the rubber hoses under that metal shield on the driver's side under the back seat had a pinhole crack...it would only smell when I filled up. It would last until I got down to about 3/4 tank.
          1989 Red L- The Baron
          www.letstalkbeatles.com
          Link to Baron Pics:
          http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
          1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
            I do know the top of the fuel tank is sealed good and there are no leaks on the ground. Any ideas?
            Just because there are no leaks on the ground doesn't mean you don't have a good leak.
            Get under the car, and look at the gas tank, see if there are any stains coming from the seam. On my '88, the seam right near the fuel filler rusted and there was a pinhole leak, just enough so that when I filled the tank over 1/2 full, it dribbled down the side of the tank, and the gas smell was bad, but rarely was there a leak on the ground.
            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
            Mark S.

Comment

I didn't see any leaks or any stains on the tank, that's why I dismissed the problem being in that location without giving it a good look. The previous owner told me he had changed the fuel pump and damaged the "O" ring seal and that's where the smell was coming from. I pulled the pump. It had never been out before.

I guess I assumed then that the problem must be coming from the vapor recovery system under the hood, even though I don't smell any fumes in that area. They're sure strong inside the car.

I'll get underneath and have a close look. Thanks.

Comment

I had the same problem as Sparky. The vent hose inside the drivers rear interior panel was cracked & left nasty fumes into the car. I changed the hose & it has been fine for 4 years.
                Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
                Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

i get these problems at work all the time. the easiest thing to do would be take the car to a mechanic and have the gas tank smoke tested, if there is a leak anywhere you'll see it. but other than that i would say dont fill the tank all the way.

Comment

I thought I'd post an update.

I pulled the 1/4 trim panel. The hoses are soft, pliable and intact. Pulled the plate off the fuel pump. No leaks, no wet spots. I filled the tank and filler kneck up with gas and it is dripping a little somewhere around the front, center of the tank. It will drip/not drip, depending on the angle the car is sitting.

So............, it looks like I might have a seam leak?

Comment

Well, Lo and Behold,, my gas tank is leaking AGAIN, just where I said it used to in my reply above...right at the corner of the tank near the fuel filler hose. Damn, not again! I get one thing fixed and something else goes!
                      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                      Mark S.

Comment

im having gas smell problems too. i am pretty sure its coming out of the heater defrost vents, also about the same time as this started happening i have a sluggish acceleration. before this started happening my gas cap started releasing pressure, a lot of pressure, and it never did before. I will be replacing the gas cap just 'cause.

i did a very quick examination of the hoses under the metal door and saw no issues. my fuel filter is very clean, it was checked about a week ago.

what else can i be looking at that will give me fumes in the cabin and a loss of power?

charcoal canister? running too rich (i've never messed with the fuel system devices for any reason)? what and where can i find possible problem makers and how do i check them?

i didnt check the tank for leaks because its been pouring down rain all day long.
                        Last edited by MTec007; 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Check underhood fuel lines, filter, and injector o-rings before you drive it again. If youre getting fumes from the front of the car AND lack of power, you have a fuel supply issue.

Comment

i have an 88, its a carby. unfortunatly im driving it again tommorow, to and from work so i just have to pray. from what i could see when i checked lines under the hood on thursday, no hoses have come off. i really dont know what im looking for but nothing looks wrong to me

Comment

Check for fuel leaking from the fuel pump or carb itself. Fuel pump is on rear driverside of cyl head.

Comment

Working...
                              X