Opening hatch window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening hatch window?

Just wondering if anybody has ever bult a Festy with a opening hatch window? It doesn't seem like it would be the hardest thing to fab up and it would make carrying those awkward size things possible without a roofrack.

Huh? The better question is why would you want to?
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I've played around with making the hatch split. So from about middle brake light level would open up, and below would open downward (like a tailgate). Mostly just for stupid curiosity, but I could see times when it might come in handy.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'd like to have a roll down hatch window
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
          Huh? The better question is why would you want to?
          Why not? My brother's Taurus has a hatch window that opens up while the hatch remains shut. It's great for getting stuff off the top of the pile. I'd love to have my festiva work that way. I'm just not creative enough to make it happen.

Comment

I didnt even think of that. For some reason my mind was picturing something else.
            << :tard:
            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
            - Unknown
            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

My reasoning for it is that I'd like to be able to carry my surf board in the festiva without having to buy some overpriced roof rack.
              I'm just playing with the idea in my head but if I can find a hatch around here for a decent price that isn't rusted out along the window seal I might give it a try.
              Find some hinges from a taurus wagon, escape or similar. Take the window out and swap the weatherstripping with a different car. Figure out a latch system, maybe with recycled rear side window latches or get creative and figure out a way to put a lock in the window or use a jeeps hood latch things and voila! Probably would be much more complicated than it seems but would look pretty cool, espesially if some gas shocks were installed to make it look a little more factory.

Comment

I like the idea
                I have been toying with the idea of rear pop out glass on the Aspire rear quarters for a while now. Looks real easy too?

If you go ahead with it- please show us how it's done??

Comment

will do, that depends on me finding a hatch at a decent price though.

Comment

I would search the ford wagons for hardware options - another latch option might be the truck topper latches since most of them are locking.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                    92 GL - parts car
                    97 aspire - parts car
                    87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                    http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                    Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

I can't recall the make/model but I saw a "crossover" recently that had the hatch glass opened with a remote. As the lady was walking up to her vehicle the glass part of the hatch opened gently. Thought that was pretty slick. Drilling glass for the hinges, fittings, etc might pose a problem for most of us DIY guys. Great project for the ambitious.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                        I can't recall the make/model but I saw a "crossover" recently that had the hatch glass opened with a remote. As the lady was walking up to her vehicle the glass part of the hatch opened gently. Thought that was pretty slick. Drilling glass for the hinges, fittings, etc might pose a problem for most of us DIY guys. Great project for the ambitious.
                        it would require water and a special set of bits - I would take it to a glass shop

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                        92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Isn't the rear window tempered glass?? If it is I'd think that drilling it wouldn't be possible. If it was laminated safety glass like a windshield then it could probably be done.

Comment

it would be sweet to have

Comment

You can put a hole in tempered glass. It's not so much "drilling" a hole as grinding a hole into it.

If it were me, I'd take it to a glass shop for 2 reasons.

1) They have the proper equipment.

2) If they break it (and if it's not done right, a good possibility) you can have them replace it.
                              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                              X