4 speed trans fluid change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed trans fluid change

i have the 88 4 speed. is there a plug to drain the fluid ?i have 91000 miles i think its due.what type fluid should i use ? thanks

i know the plug is underneath. like draining the oil for the engine. umm il let some one who knows exactly what type of fluid to use post.

Comment

If it's the same as a five speed, it should be a 17?mm at the bottom of the trans, and just use regular old atf that you find at the gas station.
      89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

dexron III or dexron V is what I believe is recommended.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
        88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
        88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
        06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

and you use the speedo gear housing as your dipstick

it takes 2.6 quarts of ATF
          Last edited by mechanicaldj; 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM.

I am the original

Comment

ya just make sure u dont confuse the trani plug w/ the oil one... i know it's a no brainer but my bro and his mechanic friend did it last week. its mercron/ dexron III atf u might wanna try a search on the forums for the dipstick... it can be tricky and easy to break! i measure out exactly the fluid capacity cuz the dipsticks painful to read.
            light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
            light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Comment

Lol, yeah I had that problem once. I went to change my oil and was too quick about it and pulled the plug on the transmission... look at my hand and thought "that is not oil....:angry7:"

Comment

Working...
              X