DIY window tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY window tint

Bought some $10 limo tint ( 80/20% )and it came out real well. No bubbles, creases, tears, holes, or streaks. Have to wait a couple of days and trim the excess. I thought it would be a PITA but I think it went smooth. I figured Id ruin at least a roll or two. Anyone local needs some help I be happy to help you with it if you bring me the glass. I think Ive figured out some tricks to doing it.

sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

It was the Busch that was the secret weapon, huh!?
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Believe it or not the instructions say to do it when you are relaxed and not stressed. Just following the instructions.
      sigpic

Comment

looks good!

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I wonder how it would look if you were super relaxed (12 pack). Good job on the tinting, looks great.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
          ---------------------------------------------------
          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I've done my fair share of tinting, it can be a real pain, but looks good from what i can tell :thumbright:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Looking good Fresh,the first car I ever did was my Festiva!!!
              Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
              99 Dodge Caravan SE
              95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
              94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
              78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
              78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
              03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
              95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
              95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
              95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Looks good - What are some of the tricks, plan on doing my windows this summer
                ROBc

Comment

When Dean and I did our windows, we took your approach... remove them from the car, take your time & enjoy! They turned out rather nicely. Cheers & nice job!

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                  In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

well my frin took all his windows out and tinted them limo tint and well it's illegal here if it's not factory but since he took all the windows out and did it to the edges when a cop pulls him over he says it's factory and gets away from it... wonder if they would believe me? if i did that...

well i already have a tint but it's really light and i don't like that...

Ford Festiva L
                    Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by rcottle View Post
                      Looks good - What are some of the tricks, plan on doing my windows this summer
                      Here is a video on how to do it. I used the inside of the opposite window for a template that way I could already have the window I was tinting prepared. If you do it their way you use the outside of the window for a template, remove the protective film to expose the adhesive, then you have to hang the film up or do something with it until you can turn the glass over and get it ready. This is an accident waiting to happen. I also used a pliable rubber spreader like the type used to put body filler on. It works perfect. Ill get a picture of it. I also used a soap solution instead of the store bought solution. It kept the glass slippery if any adjustments were needed. Really no tricks just correctly doing the steps. Anyway below is a how to link.

sigpic

Comment

That's a good video - saved it for when I plan on doing my windows. What windows did you do? Just the 2 rear? Has anyone done a hatch window? and the frt side windows?
                        ROBc

Comment

This applicator worked perfect. I just did the two back side windows but the front sides would be done the same way. Havent ever dared the hatch. I got spare glass so I just tint a set then install them when I take the untinted set out. That way I dont have to have the glass out while the tint cures. I personally dont like the frt sides and hatch tinted, I like to be able to see. Tint in the right conditions is blinding.

sigpic

Comment

that's a nice job you did there. I did mine the same way and I completely trashed two rolls! I got wrinkles and bubbles galore the first time. But I got it right the third time. now i wanna take it off and go with limo tint!
                            Jarmaine
                            '88 LX

Comment

I would only do this with my windows removed from the vehicle, for me it is easier to work on the flat. I have done the rear hatch window and found that the compound curve of the window was a little tough to deal with. It tends to cause the film to unstick itself from the glass. I ended up cutting the film with a razor to allow the film to lay onto the glass. Be careful to not razor cut across your defog grid, it probably would not work if you cut the resistive grid to open the circuit.
                              Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X