Clean out enigne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean out enigne

soo i have an 88, is running a little rough, so i changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, then actually had to end up replacing the distributor and it ran a lot better, but still a little rough, so i adjusted the timing, idel, and also rebuilt the carb, ran a lot better again, but still a tiny rough but i just lived with it, now its about 3 months later and its running noticeable rougher again, not horrible but still bugs me, so i went ahead and threw in 91 on my fill up and the car came alive, and is running much better, not perfect but better, so my guess is its got some carbon build up in the engine. What do you guys suggest is the best chemical to clean out the engine?
    (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
    95k Original miles
    New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

seafoam by far is the best....

Ford Festiva L
    Automatic

Comment

SEAFOAM!.... run it through the gas...put it in the oil....suck it into the engine through a vaccuum line......works wonders. Numerouse vids on the site of guys using it and fogging out the neighborhood....lol.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Just plain water will work to steam clean the combustion chambers. Suck it up a small vacuum hose with the engine running fast.

Comment

trust us.. SEAFOAM... i used it and my car ran better then ever....

Ford Festiva L
          Automatic

Comment

Seafoam is a favorite down here too!
            Joey Richard Jr.

1991 Ford Festiva L; died but donated all her organs
            1988 Ford Festiva LX; EFI swapped in...actually everything swapped in

Quality is Job 1. Together, We Can Save Lives. Ford.

Comment

seafoam it!!!! Through the intake (vacuum line) is where you'll see the most results... I'd do half a can through the intake, and the other half in the gas tank. There's a vid of me running it through my car a while back.
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I guess you can tell that seafoam works huh? I use it every so often in my 5.0 and my 331 stroker as well as my festivas. I just smoked out the neighborhood the other day:lol: It truly does work wonders. You can pick it up from Advance, Autozone or your local auto parts store.
                90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

I second the seafoam idea. Just did this to my car this week.

Comment

I've got an 88. Obviously carburated. Does it matter which vacuum line is used?
                    88 Festiva 5 speed
                    89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
                    93 parts car(not much left)
                    89 free parts car 5 speed
                    03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                    05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

I'd use a larger vacuum hose, that way you can get the half pint necessary into the engine before it stalls. It's got the directions on the back of the can as well Reed.
                      90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                      92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                      94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                      94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Working...
                      X