Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust tube size

Hi all:

Quick question: what would be the best tube size for a b3(stock, resently overhauled)??
    I want to change the tube from the manifold all the way to the back.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks

2.25 inch is a good size i think.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I would think 2.25 would be too free flowing for our little motors. 2 inch at most to provide backpressure. The b3 just doesnt move enough air to take advantage of 2.25. Cant really afford to lose low end torque when theres barely any to begin with.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I would have to agree with bhazard on this one. The 94 5.0's came with 2.25 inch exhaust. It would be way overkill for just the stock B3.
        90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
        92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
        94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
        94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

isnt the fms exhaust 2.25 inch. and dont they say for stock and modded applications or motor swaps. if you do put a 2.25 inch on it then you can do a motor swap and no worry about doing the exhaust later.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

^^yes....but until you do a swap you will notice a performance drop and maybe a decrease in fuel milage. I know that when I had the larger exhaust with 2 cherry bombs on it the car had no power at all...and milage fell off. I put it back to original exhaust and it was a lot more peppy and milage went up by about 3-4 mpg
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

So, should I go with the full 2" or an 1 5/8" tube??? What's the original tube size???

Comment

i just ported my b3 manifold to match my b6 head. and went with a 2" downpipe and 1 and 7/8" tail pipe after a glass pack mufler. and it flows plenty well. i belive that for a stock b3 i wouldent want to go biger than inch and 7/8 or you would lose to much bottom end.
                Later,
                Ian L.

I need a tUrBo

'92 festiva gl b6 sohc,ported exaust manifold 2" downpipe, cherrybomb, aspire brakes, miata 14" steelies. commuter rod.
                '95 grand caravan kiddie wagon.

Comment

I would go 2 inch and then get a restrictive muffler. Later if you put a bigger motor in, switch to a less restrictive muffler.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I would not go any larger then a 2.0 and use the best flowing muffler and cat you can get ( affford), needing back pressure in an exhaust system is a myth.

In the old days guys would put on headers and free flowing pipes and the engine would run lean, any damage was caused by not adjusting the carb to compensate with the new free flowing exhuast. So they would blaim "lack of backpressure" as the cause of the problem and not the failure ( of them) to properly tune the carb afterwards.
                    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

from my personal experience i did a simple muffler pan change and the loss to the back pressure was so significant that in forth and fifth gears the car would just go to sleep on me. so i think i wouldn't want to go so big prob go with billthekat
                      JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                      I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

by the way what would be the recommended size for the b5 (i wanted to know this for sometime now)
                        JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                        I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaSS View Post
                          I would not go any larger then a 2.0 and use the best flowing muffler and cat you can get ( affford), needing back pressure in an exhaust system is a myth.

In the old days guys would put on headers and free flowing pipes and the engine would run lean, any damage was caused by not adjusting the carb to compensate with the new free flowing exhuast. So they would blaim "lack of backpressure" as the cause of the problem and not the failure ( of them) to properly tune the carb afterwards.
                          that is correct, I got in an arguement on this forum before about this, few people know this fact

Comment

back pressure is always bad, on modern engines.. on carb'd cars it can cause the engine to run a little lean, but that's b/c they need to be jetted to compensate for the better air flow through the engine.
                            here is a decent not too in depth article on exhaust theory... keep in mind this just skims the surface! i've read some much more in depth articles, and still am no where near understanding everything. I would say for a B3 no larger than 2", probably 1 5/8 would be better. a B6 with PnP/header might benefit from 2", which is what i have on my B6, but even then it may be over kill. Toss in a turbo though, and you need to move a much larger volume of air, and so the larger pipes are more efficient.
                            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

if it does not need the backpressure then why does it matter what size pipes and muffler you put on it? I am not trying to argue, I am trying to learn. I put a bigger exhaust and cherry bombs on my car and the low end torque was gone along with what little passing ability these cars have, not to mention my gas milage dropped off. Once I put it back to stock exhaust the cars pep was back and so was my gas milage. If it is not back pressure that causes this then what is it?
                              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              There ain't no rest for the wicked
                              until we close our eyes for good.
                              I will sleep when I die!
                              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                              X