Crankshaft Timing Gear Fastener Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft Timing Gear Fastener Question

To get the last pulley (Alternator, Water Pump) off of the crankshaft timing gear in my 91' Festiva GL, I had to remove 2 small phillips head screws. They appeared to be brass. One came out very hard and the threads were galled. The second one stripped out and I had to take the head off the screw to remove the pulley. I managed to get the remainder of the screw out and the threads on it were galled as well. What I have found as a result of this is that these screws are a very odd size and I will have to go to a specialty fastener distributer to try and find them. Also, the threads on the gear need to be chased to re-install the new fasteners which means I will probably have to special order a properly sized thread chaser or tap unless I drill out the holes and tap them out to accept a common sized bolt or machine screw. I would prefer to not have to do any of the above.

So, my questions are as follows. What purpose do these two screws play? Can I do without them? The pulley in question is keyed to the shaft so even without the screws the pulley should not slip and the bolts from the other pulley (power steering) should tightly hold the whole works together. Also, does the crankshaft timing gear act as a balancer in any way and will the omission of the two screws or the boring out and rethreading of the holes cause any problems?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Johnson
    Wells, Maine

I wouldn't worry about replacing those small screws. The 4 big bolts hold the pulley. As a matter of fact, only the older "small nose" crankshaft uses those little screws. The newer "big nose" crankshaft does not use those small screws, just the 4 bolts.

Those screws are so small and close to the center of the rotating mass (crankshaft) that they wouldn't affect the balance even if one was left in and one removed.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I'm with Festy46. I think you are okay without them. My dad, a mechanic of35+ years, says they are non-essential. We had the same problem a few weeks ago when we swapped my head.

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
      '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
      '68 Mustang Coupe
      '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

I'm not familiar or at least don't recall the screws....anyway...what is the thread? if not to odd, I can mail some screws and possibly a tap...your cost...mail the tap backyou'll have to mail the tap back....let me know.

From Burnsville...I've spent alot of time in Albemarle
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I had the same problem. Came on here and someone said they were just for factory assembly or something, so I diddnt worry about them. Put 15k on like that and no problems.
          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
          RIP 90LX

Comment

If you do end up replacing them, and you have to chase the threads anyway, why not just tap the out to a more common size? Just a thought, but I would probably just leave them out.
            ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

Working...
            X