Polishing Mazda factory alloys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Mazda factory alloys

Does anyone know if it's possible to polish the factory alloys to a bright finish? I've been thinking that would look a lot better than stock.

If it is possible, how do you keep them shiny? I'm guessing some kind of clearcoat.

Thanks in advance.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

typically, any factory alloy wheel can be polished. The surfaces usually don't have casting inclusions to disturb the finish, because any wheels with defects would have been recycled at the factory due to safety issues. After polishing, the wheel will need to be cleaned thouroughly with a non-caustic detergent (alcohol based cleaners are typically safe), because anything with an acid can etch and dull the finish. Finish off with a clearcoat. I've actually been very happy with Rustoleum clear in a rattle can, tough stuff.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

you could also have them glassbeaded then have them powercoated in a color called Nearchrome. had a few things done in that color for my hotrod looks fantastic. actually thinking to do that to the wheels on my black festy.
      1992 black GL
      1991 white GL
      1991 blue L parts car
      1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
      1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodin4me
        you could also have them glassbeaded then have them powercoated in a color called Nearchrome. had a few things done in that color for my hotrod looks fantastic. actually thinking to do that to the wheels on my black festy.
        You need to be extremely careful when it comes to powdercoating aluminum wheels. Depending on the heat treat curve used by the shop doing the work the wheels could be unaffected or they could become brittle, resulting in:

Personally I would avoid powercoating any critical aluminum parts.

Comment

:shock: I don't think I'll go the powdercoating route!

Thanks for thee input
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

^^^^^^^^ damnnnnnnnn

Comment

MPG, I was going to say the same thing about powdercoating... great pic!
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I forgot I started this thread... old age setting in. Anyway, if I do decide to polish the alloys what materials/product should I use?

Thanks again,
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Bump.

I'd like to know too.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Fastavaca,
                    Search the web for "alloy wheel refinishing." You'll get a lot of commercial hits and a few DYI articles. Here's one for example:

CZ

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a good article on how to restore aluminum wheels in the new issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. In the article, they work on AMC wheels I think, but the methods used apply to most all alloys.
                      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                      Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                      X