junkyard dreaming... now a reality!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• junkyard dreaming... now a reality!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sho_tyme_psi wrote:
    capri=aspire calipers They bolt right up. only rotor an spindles differ.

but will the festy spindles swap onto the capri rotors? and if so, will the knuckle accept the caliper? that would be a killer upgrade...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

about the capri swap
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

alright, so after reading that link, one last question.... to do the swap, i must use the carpi knuckle to mount the capri caliper, or can i use the festy knuckle and bolt on the capri caliper? if i can use the festy knuckle, i'll just have to purchace the capri rotors and calipers for the swap... SWEET (or not)

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Sounds like a good upgrade if it works, I would imagine the capri brakes would be an even better upgrade than the aspire brakes but I don't know for sure I am just imagining they would be a bit bigger.

Comment

the stock Capri rotors are 9.35" and the XR2 rotors are 10.2" according to RockAuto.com, so yes, they are bigger. now it's just a matter of knuckle compatibility.

Comment

the bad is the choice of bolt pattern. The 4x114.3 just doesn't have the support as the 4x100 for the aspire swap. Also even if the rotors are larger you'll just end up locking the tires sooner.
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

... so no one knows if the capri calipers will bolt onto the festy knuckle?

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Well I know the Capri axles fit into our hubs...

bump???

'92 Festiva: BP01

Comment

Yeah if I still had my capri xr2 I would have kept the knuckles and experimented with them, If I ever see an xr2 in the junkyard that will be one of the many parts I take.

Comment

good news gentelmen, I have a set of knuckle assemblies. i just need to swap in the correct rotors (have 'em) and new pads (gotta get 'em) and we're in business!!! i love it when a plan comes together!!!!

Comment

ok, here's the deal: festy and capri calipers don't swap no matter what the combination of caliper and knuckle.

the capri knuckle DOES swap onto the festiva BUT:

1) swapping the knuckle assemblies causes the tire to toe in about 2.5 degrees (slight differance in steering arm angle)

2) the camber seemed to have went positive from previous measurements (89.7* meaning .3* positive camber) this was a quick measurement, will know actual once it gets on the alignment rack.

3) instalation MUST be done in this order: strut, axle, then lower balljoint or tierod end, whichever wasn't done in step 3, and then control arm to chassis.

there's no CV binding but havn't tested for strut mount bind as i couldn't load the suspention and turn it while loaded (needs to be done on the rack). here's how it all went down:

removed caliper from knuckle and let it hang durring fitment. removed stock knuckle. placed capri knuckle onto balljoint and attempted to swing strut arm onto strut, but it wouldn't let me. so i removed the capri knuckle and sat it next to the festy knuckle (both on edge) to compair strut arms.

the capri strut arm is about 3/4" further from centerline as compaired to the festy strut arm. SECOND ATTEMPT: starting with the strut arm bolts this time, i then placed the tierod end into the steering arm. next comes the balljoint (or so i thought), but the angle of attack between the knuckle and balljoint was too steep and the knuckle was being pushed away by the strut.

THIRD ATTEMPT: left the strut arm attached to strut, but removed the contorl arm bolt and let the control arm hang by the swaybar. then attached the balljoint, but this forced the control arm end away from it's slot in the frame. pushing up on the arm lined the holes up horizontaly but on different vertical planes.

Solution: ratchet strap to the sway bar and tighten!!! Voila, IT FITS.

this is the turbo capri knuckle/rotor combo with 14" rims

this ordeal caused me to scratch my head a bit; why did i have to pull the control arm IN? then it hit me, the offset of the strut arm on the capri knuckle pushed the bottom of the strut tward the centerline of the car and the strut mount was resisting that movement. so how do i fix this?

here's where i need your help: i need the dimentions and mounting positions of an Aspire control arm. i know it's longer, but i need to know how much longer and where it's longer. if things work out, i'll be able to kill 2 birds with one stone by relieving the stress on the strut mount AND adding some negative camber.

PS: pics of work to be inserted soon...

Comment

just thought everyone would like to see this....

BUMP

Comment

If memory serves me right 3/4 of a inch, but I'm not 100 percent positive. I'd like to know the outcome of this project. Do you think the XR2 brake assemblies would still clear 13" wheels. or would we need i step up to a 14"
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Anomoly40 has also done this. I think someone else has also other than those already mentioned. Let us know how it works, once you figure it all out.
                              The Festiva Store
                              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X