July FOTM Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July FOTM Winner

The winner for July FOTM goes to...........................

snackman508!! Congratulations!!

Here is his entry again

Originally posted by snackman508 View Post

First off I would like to say this is my fist Festiva and have not been in the Festiva game to long, but every day I drive it I realize how much of a tank they are. This past December my work truck would not pass PA state inspection so I decided it was time to retire it, instead of replacing the frame rails that had the patches rusting off. I was in need of a cheap car that could hold a lot of tools (I work construction) till I could find or build the truck I want. I asked Ghost if he knew of any Festivas or 323s for cheap and he directed me to festyboy who had one for $400 but.... had 210k mile, needed a new bumper, new head light and the front corner was smashed in.I must have been sitting for some time, because when I turned the vent on all kinds of crap came out and it smelled like mice bad. I jumped on the deal because all parts needed were included. Every thing was bolt on except the smashed in corner, so I took a chain and a truck and a few tugs later it was close to normal. You can see I still have a wrinkle in the frame.

Next it was time to gut the inside and put some shelves in, and turn it into a real Worksteva. Once all my tools were in it I was worried someone would see and steal them, so tint was a must. All it needed was a good radio and some speakers, I upgraded the head unit to a sweat alpine (with tape deck) and swapped some pioneer speakers in.

wanting to clean the looks up a little, I painted the top black to cover the flaking clear and give it a nice 2 tone look, also hit the wheels with some silver. I must put a shameless plug in here for rustoleum it turns out good if you spray when temps are low. O also I should say I Also sprayed foam in the holes by the wheels, not just to stop the water but to stiffen the body up a little.

The next big thing that happen was I blew a head gasket. I was driving to work beating the crap out of it like always and did not know the temp gauge reads low. It was at a little over half and steam was coming out of my hood. I had to get to work because my boss just yelled at me the day before for always being late. I drove it 10 more min and made it to work on time. It was a cold day high of 20, there must not have been any antifreeze in it, and froze up not circulating water in the motor (and the heater core I was cold to) thus over heating. I looked at it at lunch time, there was a frozen puddle under the car and what looked to be a slushy in the radiator. That night after work it would barely start do to all the ice in the water pump but some hot water in the rad cleared it right up, made it home to put some antifreeze. It ran for 2 weeks till the HG went out all together, I was driving across town and it just stopped running. When ever I would put any lode on it would die, it would idle and rev but die when it was in gear. I was feeling to lazy to replace the HG and they cost like $100 so I did the next best thing, no not RTV, an HG in a bottle.

To show you how cheap can bee I didnt get the $20 one with 20steps I got the $12 one with 2 steps. I wormed the motor up dumped it in, ran it for 15min with the heat on and let it cool over night. The next day started up and ran good as new, burn outs and every thing. That fixed the coolant from leaking but I was/is still loosing oil. Oil leak stop helped but some times if I dont check it for 3 or 4 weeks (this happens a lot) I would have to add 2-2.5 qts of oil. I may start putting used oil out of my other car in it, because im using it so fast. There is no other big problems with it other then little things like the brace under the motor rusting out. 2 bolts fixed that. Brake line rusting threw and losing all brakes, I made it to the auto parts store using the E brake and the 4sp.

Last mod was the fender stripes gives it a sporty no nonsense look.
    I would have to say I didnt believe people when they said these motors are bullet proof. But this is one tuff motor.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Congrats snackman, very unique car and a good use of a Festiva.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by snackman508
      LOVE IT!!! Reminds me of what the back my station wagon when I was still in construction. I'd do it to the festy too, but I have a family.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Nice Win!
        1991 Auto Ford Festiva " Noel " <-- cuz theres No L in Festiva
        1991 Manual Ford Festiva
        1999 ford f-250 5.4L My gas guzzler.

Comment

That was some close voting! Three equally-popular cars.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

A man after my own heart; a practical car to use for making a living, and to cash-in on spectacular fuel economy.

But I think we all have to admit the red-necks (entire construction industry) by and large take a dim view of frugal colleagues in the trades. They tend to flaunt the costliest, largest, tallest, noisiest gas guzzling GD monsters they can.

So: keep up the good work and use the banked proceeds of 'being cheap' to buy either lots more beer or go somewhere warm every winter.

Comment

Snackman your car is awesome. I love the concept of the festiva being a work vehicle.
              91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

i know his boss does not love his car lol

Comment

Anybody notice the missing valvecover bolt ? Might be a small part of oil loss ?
                  New build on the way .

Comment

Couldn't help but notice the collection of Makita tools in the back of the car. I too have become fond of those middle-of-the-road-cost but professional quality electric tools over the past 31 years and have never lost one to lousy manufacture, yet. My professional/commercial Black&Deckers (forerunner of, and same junk as, DeWalt) and Porter-Cables flew apart years ago. You have to buy twice as expensive (such as Walther-Metabo (German)) in order to improve on a Makita.

Comment

Congrats buddy you deserve it
                      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Congrats, love a working festy. They bring home the bacon.

sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Good Job!!
                          I like to see a Festiva being used for professional use.
                          "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            Couldn't help but notice the collection of Makita tools in the back of the car. I too have become fond of those middle-of-the-road-cost but professional quality electric tools over the past 31 years and have never lost one to lousy manufacture, yet. My professional/commercial Black&Deckers (forerunner of, and same junk as, DeWalt) and Porter-Cables flew apart years ago. You have to buy twice as expensive (such as Walther-Metabo (German)) in order to improve on a Makita.
                            i also use all makita. they have a great variety of tools and much nicer than most other brands. way lighter and better balanced than dewalt. better batteries and the speeds are practical. dewalts new 20v tools are rediculously fast that it makes them hard to use.... not to mention they are heavy lol. the only issue with any makita that i have ever seen is the 3 speed hammer drills the gears go out in. the 2 speeds are fine.

makita ftw

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                              way lighter and better balanced than dewalt.
                              THIS! All day long!
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                              X