93 festy still not running right please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 festy still not running right please help

93 festiva not running right, ill be driving at 55mph and all is good then he check engine light comes on and it feels like i lost a cylinder, i push clutch in and rev a little bit light goes off and all is good. It might run a mile aor it could be 1/4 mile and it does it agin. Sometimes it dont do it at all, I have replaced the fuel pump , plugs,wires,cap button checked for vacum leaks,and was told it might be tps sensor not sure what to do..........

O2 sensor.....would be my first place to look.

Comment

Do the self-test. Ground the single wire by the booster with key on and count blinks of CEL. Do this before you start throwing money at it.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
        Do the self-test. Ground the single wire by the booster with key on and count blinks of CEL. Do this before you start throwing money at it.
        Can you explain this to a dummy like me?

EVO deck'd out with Bruce Lee
        First time owner
        89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
        Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

ok will do the test tomorrow and let ya know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
            Can you explain this to a dummy like me?

There's a 3-gang empty connector near the brake booster. There is also a single one next to it. Get a male blade connector and crimp it to a piece of elec wire with an alligator clip at the other end. Attach the blade to the single connector and ground the alligator clip. Turn the key to ON and observe the blinking of the CEL. The long illumination is the first number and the short is the second. It will cycle through all the stored errors then repeat. The Haynes manual has what component corresponds to what code.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              There's a 3-gang empty connector near the brake booster. There is also a single one next to it. Get a male blade connector and crimp it to a piece of elec wire with an alligator clip at the other end. Attach the blade to the single connector and ground the alligator clip. Turn the key to ON and observe the blinking of the CEL. The long illumination is the first number and the short is the second. It will cycle through all the stored errors then repeat. The Haynes manual has what component corresponds to what code.
              OK thanks. I think I have a little better idea now.

First time owner
              89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
              Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

I had the same problem, it turned out to be the O2. I picked it up at AutoZone, Denso 234-1010, also had to pick up O2 socket. Don't remember how much the sensor was, but the socket was $10.49.
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

If you don't have the haynes just type in the
                  code and festiva in google , yahoo bing whatever
                  it should come up..
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Another tidbit from the Haynes manual: After repairs clear the codes by unhooking the neg cable and depressing the brake for ten seconds. Related story: My daughter's '93 BMW has a CEL illuminating. Emissions test looming. Would not communicate with fancy scanner. Found on Google that turning key and flooring gas pedal 5 times will retrieve codes. It worked! Info was not in Haynes or $50 Bentley manual.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocket81 View Post
                      93 festiva not running right, ill be driving at 55mph and all is good then he check engine light comes on and it feels like i lost a cylinder, i push clutch in and rev a little bit light goes off and all is good. It might run a mile aor it could be 1/4 mile and it does it agin. Sometimes it dont do it at all, I have replaced the fuel pump , plugs,wires,cap button checked for vacum leaks,and was told it might be tps sensor not sure what to do..........
                      wiggle test the VAF connector while the engine is running...
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

ok what is a vaf ? i also swapped out o2 senser not the problem......will try the other test tomorrow hopefully been really busy....

Comment

eratic idyl

engine light on,can be put on a diagnostic machine,at garage. sounds like fuel system put a can of seafoam,in tank. or put in a whole bottle of fuel injection cleaner,every other fill up.or a garage,can do a fuel injection service .engine lights are for a reason. luck to ya,dude.

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
                            engine light on,can be put on a diagnostic machine,at garage. sounds like fuel system put a can of seafoam,in tank. or put in a whole bottle of fuel injection cleaner,every other fill up.or a garage,can do a fuel injection service .engine lights are for a reason. luck to ya,dude.
                            Yes the CEL comes on for a reason. So you can diagnose it in your driveway and not pay a gangster $80 an hour for bad info.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocket81 View Post
                              ok what is a vaf ? i also swapped out o2 senser not the problem......will try the other test tomorrow hopefully been really busy....
                              VAF = Vane Air Flow, it's the aluminum box on top of your air cleaner. with the engine running, wiggle the connector up and down. do this AFTER removing it, inspecting all the pin connections for corrosion and pluging it back in.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X