December FOTM Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December FOTM Winner

The Winner for December FOTM goes to..................

Freshtiva with his car "Frankenstiva"!!!!

Congratulations on yet another FOTM win

Here is his entry again

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
    Frankenstiva

I bought Frankenstiva three years ago this month. I had seen a public auction flyer with numerous festivas listed. I attended the auction in hopes of buying several of the festies but the owner who was selling the rest of his estate bulked when it came time to auction off the festivas. He closed the doors and hoods on the cars and motioned the auctioneer to move on. I completely understood but had waited at the auction for six hours to bid on the cars. I lodged my complaints with the owners son and mentioned that I had wasted most of my day waiting for the cars to sell only to find they weren’t going to sell them after all. The son sympathized and said one of the festivas was his and he would sell it for $100 dollars. Not wanting to come home empty handed, I agreed. Unfortunately the car was in bad shape. The car had caught on fire during a fuel filter change damaging most of the engine bay, hood, front bumper, cowling, wind shield, etc. On top of that the hatch had been left ajar and mice had set up full occupancy in the car. It was a 93 GL with factory A/C, the only positive. Pictures below show the car the day I purchased it.

Lovely !!!

Fire damage and the owners attempt to splice in another wire harness to repair it. Oh brother !!

The car reeked, almost unbearable. The engine bay burned, what had I got into ? I’ll omit the details of the build as you can see the progress in the threads below. It was pretty much a ground up rebuild. I swapped in a nice low mileage B6 and did an aspire brake swap. Also did an auto to five speed swap. Again all details are in the build thread but here is a short list of things that have been done.

Dash off wire harness swap added B6 ECU and B6 VAF
    Purchased B6 SOHC with 72,000 on it from Smittys Auto salvage in Axtell Ks
    Purchased five speed tranny from Onebadkia
    Purchased complete aspire swap
    Purchased four 13 x5 inch steelies of off a Mazda protégé with the 4 x 100 bolt pattern
    Pulled old motor and auto tranny.
    Removed everything from the fire wall and sanded, primed and repainted to cover fire damage.
    Replaced all burned components. ( Brake booster, master cylinder, battery tray, coil, battery, splash shields, radiator, wiper caps, grill, hood, radiator mounts , hoses, wire harness, assorted clips, steering rack boots., steering knuckle boot, distributor, wiper motor vacuum lines etc, etc, etc….
    Replaced items on b6 ( timing belt, plugs, wires, disty, water pump oxygen sensor etc changed oil and filter plus new air filter, new thermostat.
    Paint valve cover
    Swapped out 323 coolant line for the festiva lines, thermostat housing as well.
    Swapped out 323 A/C brackets and motor mounts for festiva stuff
    Installed new tranny mount
    Fabbed down pipe for 323 exhaust manifold
    Fabbed air intake to keep the VAF and battery in original places.
    Rewired some of the injector harness.
    Complete disassemble and rebuild of front hubs ( Quality inner and outer bearings, races and seals, new rotors, new pads, brake lube caliper bushings on aspire knuckles. Sanded painted backing plates and calipers.
    New front and rear struts and new rear dust covers
    Rebuilt rack and pinion ( new inner and outer tie rod ends, new boots. Repacked with grease
    New FMS control arms/ ball joints and stabilizer bushings.
    Complete rebuild on rear brakes, new rear wheel bearing and seals., new shoes. Painted torsion beams and backing plates. New wheel cylinders. New master cylinder, new brake lines.
    Gutted interior, steam cleaned carpets and seats. Used live enzymes to dissolve uric acids. Multiple cleaning from bare metal up. Reinstalled interior. Repainted all the interior panels and trim.
    Rebuilt spare tire cover.
    Purchased a 4 x 100 spare donut
    Replace cracked windshield done by my good buddy festivawes.
    Converted a/c to 134a
    New clutch set
    added manual pedal assy plus clutch cable and shifter linkage for the auto to manual swap
    Purchased four Sumitomos HTR 200 185/60R/13 spun balance and mounted
    Four wheel computer alignment. (from Tire Plus)
    Flushed coolant system several times
    Added options ( so far, more to come ) Clock wiring, tilt steering column, tach cluster, full five speed console. Rear cargo light, and hatch switch.
    Replaces tranny output seals
    New half shafts (not rebuilds)
    Switched to cartridge type main fuses
    Etc, etc, etc. Many things I’ve forgotten or missed, or too numerous to list. If I found something that could be or needed repaired or replaced on this car, it was done, there was no skimping. I tried my best for a quality build. I have over $3000 invested in this car now.

Build links below
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20364&highlight=engine+swap+build +thread

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18898&highlight=wire+harness+swap

It's been two and a half years since I got the car back on the road. It turned out great and no longer stinks. It's really one of my favorite festys now and I enjoy driving it. It is a great freeway car ! It has “summer only” tires so I drive it during fair weather. It been trouble free since the rebuild and gets about the same gas mileage as a stock festiva. Ive said before that this package should have been a factory option. Thank for your consideration as December FOTM. The pictures below show the car after the build.

[img]

Ocean front in Iowa ??

Posing at the Supermodels house during the “cruise in the corn meet “.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Congratulations Marcus!
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

WOOOO HOOOO, a kudo at last, thanks Paul.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

For real!! That's what I was thinking when I saw this. Non one said congrats?!!!
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Congratulations man! That car turned out great. Nice work.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
            For real!! That's what I was thinking when I saw this. Non one said congrats?!!!
            I said congrats :lol:

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              I said congrats :lol:
              Oh yeah!

Comment

I'm kind of biased though since i always congratulate the winner when i announce them :lol:

Comment

:lol:

Comment

Congrats Marcus !
                    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                    99 Dodge Caravan SE
                    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I've seen the car up close and personal! A well deserved win, congratulations Marcus!
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada
                      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                      X