September FOTM Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September FOTM Winner

And the winner for September's FOTM goes to...............

David88!!!! Congratulations on a well deserved win!!

Here is his entry again

Originally posted by David88 View Post
    Well I have never gone for Festy of the month before so I will try it. I never seem to have as many pictures as I'd like though. I tend to just get busy and forget to take them. I am doing this on behalf of my daughter Faith. She has a 1990 Festiva L Plus. The car has an automatic and factory A/C. She will be leaving for college tomorrow so I have been fixing and tweaking things on the car so it is in tip top shape. She will be about 4 hours from home in Aurora, Illinois.

Here is the the history. I picked this car up in '07 for $700. It had 98K in it then. It had been sitting for about two years. I had to bring a battery and a belt to hear it run. It fired right up and ran good even with that crappy old gas. I actually limped it home through the countryside roads 30 miles with weak brakes.

I bled the brakes and I drove it for a while. I then realized it had a rust hole in the gas tank. I replaced that with a new one from ebay.

I used spray bomb bedliner coating to do the tank.

That project was a bigger ordeal than I imagined. It needed all new fuel lines as they were rusty too. Then the brake lines. All of them. So i did the rubber lines as well. The rear brake drums were so rusty they were breaking apart. So new wheel cylinders drums and bearings in back. Drove it some more and then the exhaust fell apart. Dealt with that.

Some used but good parts I had in stock.

Drove some more. Actually Faith had turned 16 and was drive to school for a year. The car then developed another issue. The starter would grind and fail to start on occasion. This got more frequent. I had the starter tested and it was good. It turned out to be the ring gear teeth were chewed up. I nearly gave up and parted it out. We bought faith a 97 Geo Prizm one owner 114k. She really liked that car. Then the fate of the Festy was in the balance. Fast forward one month. Well, Faith had an accident in the Geo. She was not hurt but the car was totaled.

Soooo...... Dealt with that flexplate under the gun. Not fun! Faith was clear. She said "BUT, I NEED A CAR!" On the bright side I was able to find a good flexplate at a salvage two hours away on the shelf for $35.

The tranny came out and new flexplete went on.

So the Festy has done well for her to date. Faith noticed her car was noticeably harder to steer than her Moms LX. A check of the ball joints found the problem. They were extremely worn. So this year I put in new ball joints. While I was at it I also replaced the rack boots, outer CV boots, outer tie rods ends and a set of Monroe struts in front.

After all this I thought it deserved a respectable paint job so I went to work. Some rust at the rear wheel wells and a wrinkly fender were in need of the most attention.
    A rear wiper upgrade was added.

I'd had the paint since before Faith was born! It was for a project that never got done so time to bust out the old spray gun.

I blackened the bumpers and added hub caps and put on some door edge guards. We took these pics today. She leave for college tomorrow.

Faith likes it. I added power mirrors (thanks Ian) and put in a nice modern stereo for her. She puts gas in, it gets her around and she doesn't have to worry or even think about it. What more could she ask for? Its even school colors now! Good luck Faith. You'll do well. I'm proud of you.

None of this would have ever happened in it weren't for FF.com. Thanks to all.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

great job on the car david! congrats on the win, i like that two tone paint job & i was wondering how it would look with the side trim & even possibly the bumpers done in the same blue? might be to much?
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Congrats David, great job on the car and the win. All the cars were deserving of the win this month, good job Guys.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

You had my vote. I like the paint job!
        1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
        Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
        daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
        A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Congratulations! looks great!
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

David you are an awesome dad. Well deserved win.
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

Thank you for all the compliments and votes. The pimpstiva1 and alpaccinos' entries were both very nice cars and they have done alot of work to them. We all win driving Festivas/Prides.
              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I think you just won because you included a pic of your daughter, lol jk, nice job man, I love the paint
                Owner of:
                1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                In progress:
                BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

I voted for this one simply because it's great to do up a Festiva, but it's stellar to do up a Festiva for your family. AND the car was saved from the junkyard and put back into daily use. I love the look of Pimpstiva, but your backstory was the clincher for me. That's why I voted for you.
                  Carz:
                  '09 Ford F-150
                  '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
                  '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
                  225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
                  ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Working...
                  X