No announcement yet.

AquaMutt build thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it's way past time for an update!

I put in the B6 ECU shortly after my last post here. Didn't feel a whole lot of difference in power or drive-ability. Then one weekend I put on some racing tires on Miata wheels to see what she looked like. Go here to see:

In early April I went on a trip to Americus, GA for some training, and then came back through Anniston, Alabama, where I visited my old training base, Fort McClellan. It was closed down in the late nineties and is being redeveloped for commercial use. Spent about an hour reminiscing there before heading back home. Got an average of 39 mpg on my trip. It would have been 40 or more but on the last leg through Kentucky and Ohio I hit colder weather, with rain and headwinds, so that leg averaged only 34 mpg, bringing my trip average down. On the other legs I got 40 to 41.5 mpg, even on 70 mph stretches of freeway!

I'll do a separate thread on the trip sometime soon.

Then after being back from the over 1400 mile trip, my left front caliper began sticking. I tried taking it off and re-greasing the sliders, but that didn't help much. I had planned to swap my front brakes to auto Aspire rotors and calipers in a month or two, so I just moved that up and did it.

Now, instead of "so-so" Aspire brakes, I have "SUPER AWESOME ASPIRE BRAKES!"

Oh yeah. Like they should be!

Some pretty pics are in order!

The thicker auto rotor is evident here:

Side view after I finished:

Farther up, showing my new Kia Rio brake hose, which attached properly to the Rio strut bracket:

I used Raybestos PG Plus rotors with Autozone rebuilt calipers and (IIRC) some premium Raybestos semi-metallic pads. My Dad helped bleed the brakes and I was on the road and happy!

Then a week later...(cue ominous music in background as a shadow slips onto the scene)...

I had gone on an errand to Walgreen's and when I left, I noticed my engine sounded a little noisier than usual. Then my oil light came on!

I quickly chose an place to pull over, shut the engine off and coasted to a stop. Had oil. No leakage. Restarted engine and the oil light went out. I drove to Autozone to consult with some folks, and the light stayed out until I parked, then it came on again.

We concluded my oil pump was probaby going out. I then posted this thread, where you can read all about it:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Enough for this post!

More to follow soon.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

• While I am messing with my engine after fixing the oil pickup tube problem, I figured I would change two things. First, I'll put on my much lighter V-belt crank pulley in place of that heavy, flat belt B6/323 crank pulley, which also takes up a lot of room and is difficult to work around.

Here are the two together:

I weighed them on my postal scale. The thin one weighed at just over 15 oz, while the other was too heavy for my 2 pound scale. I estimate it is at least 2.5 or 3 pounds, maybe more!

Here is another pic. Look closely and see if you can tell what I need to do before I put on the thin pulley:

The pics may not be good enough to see it, but the timing marks are in different spots. So I lined them up on top of each other as carefully as I could and marked where the timing notch should go on the new pulley, to properly mate and set/check timing on the B6. I filed a new notch with the edge of a flat file and filled it in with white marker paint.

All ready to install tomorrow!

The second thing was I wanted to see how much lighter the aluminum B6T oil pan might be over the stock steel pan.

It ain't! Here's a pic:

That aluminum is thick, and I estimate it weighs at least twice as much as the stamped steel part. So I'm sticking with steel!

There may be an advantage to the B6T pan, perhaps better cooling or stiffening when attached to the engine and transaxle. I don't know for sure. You'd have to plug the oil cooling pipe to use it, though.

Here's a couple more pics to finish out today's update:

Note the floor jack used to lower the engine for work, and the very useful boards underneath for a smooth platform. I had two eight foot 2 X 12s cut in half specifically to use for outdoor work like this to support jacks and stands in the grass or dirt, etc.

I'm again driving Luxstiva while I'm working on Aqua! (Automatics are a nice change sometimes.) When I redo Lux, she's gonna get auto Aspire brakes, too!

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Right on! I'll be picking up an Aspire swap or two this coming week, at least one of which has the thicker auto rotors. Gotta have the "SUPER AWESOME ASPIRE BRAKES!" haha

I hope you got your issues sorted out! You didn't notice much difference with the B6 ECU though eh...I remember hearing guys noticing a big difference...weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Note the floor jack used to lower the engine for work, and the very useful boards underneath for a smooth platform. I had two eight foot 2 X 12s cut in half specifically to use for outdoor work like this to support jacks and stands in the grass or dirt, etc.
          haha I do the same sort of thing...

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Automatics are a nice change sometimes.
          What a bizarre statement! lol :p

Comment

• Thanks Eric!

Maybe there is a large difference when putting in the B6 ECU with the older engines vs. the newer ones? Just a guess. It could also be that engines are like people and some benefit from the proper ECU more than others.

Whether you go with manual or auto Aspire rotors/calipers, you will certainly like the Aspire swap! Aqua will be my "tow car," so she should have the stoutest brakes, while Lux will simply benefit from the same idea.

When I do my performance job on Twinstiva, I'll be using the best manual Aspire parts I can get to reduce weight. But Twin will not be for hauling stuff.

(The auto rotors add about 1.5 pounds per side in unsprung weight. I weighed some PG Plus's to compare once.)

Karl

PS: "Bizarre?" Ha! Everyone should have a "lazy butt car" to ride in occasionally. But a B6/auto is a lot better than with a B3!
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

But a B6/auto is a lot better than with a B3!
              I'd prefer a B1 with MTX to a B6 with ATX. hahaha That's just how much I prefer the MTX though. It's a matter of personal preference. I don't much like having the car shift for me, but then I prefer being without power steering, brake booster, A/C, etc, etc...just my preference! haha...oh btw MTX is lighter too! hehe

I didn't think about the unsprung weight increase of the ATX rotors though...who knows I may end up with one MTX and one ATX Aspire swap in a weeks time. That'd be nice!

Comment

• If I only had one Festiva, I'd certainly prefer a manual! Two out of three of mine are 5 speeds. When I get more Festivas after I get some land and more storage for parts and parts cars, etc., I think the proper ratio will be around one ATX for every six Festivas. At least for me, that is.

Now if we can get a fully documented 4 speed ATX swap, that could change a bit. The old 3 speed ATX really saps both the power and fuel economy of the B6. Swapping in an Aspire ATX with lockup torque convertor probably won't help all that much since it's still a 3 speed. If all goes well, I may be able to buy the next later model ATX 323 I see for sale. Then I just might break some ground!

A proper 4 speed auto with B6 would probably have a chance at getting consistent mpgs above 40 on the freeway and above 32 or so average all the time. The best Lux would do on the freeway at around 65 and just under was 37 mpg. She averages about 27 to 31 mpg though, in daily driving when last measured.

Karl

Comment

• Karl where are those Kia strut part numbers? I know you posted them but cant find them. I just ordered a pair of rubber doughnuts from kia ( rio 2001 ). I hope they fit the top of the spring.
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Kia strut part numbers?

I just saw your question. I got my Rio front struts from a junkyard, whole. They're off an '02, I think. Here's the dope, though:

Early Rios with "bolt in" struts ran from '01 to 6/'02. In 7/'02, according to parts sources, the Rio got three bolt strut mounts and there may have been some valving changes in some brand struts, either right away or later on, to reflect the more powerful (and maybe slightly heavier) 1.6 engine. Brake upgrades were done the same time, IIRC.

If you go to Rockauto or another source and look up parts numbers, you will get what you want: parts numbers for struts, strut mounts, etc.

You say you ordered "rubber doughnuts" from Kia? The isolators topping the springs, right? I need some new ones too. Never thought of ordering them from Kia, but it makes sense. I've been using the best used ones I could find. On Aqua, I used the ones off the Rio struts.

Good to know I can get new ones though. I may do so soon!

I should be getting some '04 Rio Cinco front struts in soon, so I can look at a newer version. I'll also consider drilling a Festiva for the three bolt strut mount, if there may be an advantage to it. I just can't think of any.

The late '02/'03 Rio brake upgrade may be applicable to Aspire suspension, but I don't know of anyone doing it yet, or actually installing a Rio knuckle on a Festiva or Aspire. That may be the next step for modding. (Or not.)

While I'm at it, here is the latest link to my work for Aqua--painting her new Estrellas:

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-29-2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Kia strut part numbers?

I just saw your question. I got my Rio front struts from a junkyard, whole. They're off an '02, I think. Here's the dope, though:

Early Rios with "bolt in" struts ran from '01 to 6/'02. In 7/'02, according to parts sources, the Rio got three bolt strut mounts and there may have been some valving changes in some brand struts, either right away or later on, to reflect the more powerful (and maybe slightly heavier) 1.6 engine. Brake upgrades were done the same time, IIRC.

If you go to Rockauto or another source and look up parts numbers, you will get what you want: parts numbers for struts, strut mounts, etc.

You say you ordered "rubber doughnuts" from Kia? The isolators topping the springs, right? I need some new ones too. Never thought of ordering them from Kia, but it makes sense. I've been using the best used ones I could find. On Aqua, I used the ones off the Rio struts.

Good to know I can get new ones though. I may do so soon!

I should be getting some '04 Rio Cinco front struts in soon, so I can look at a newer version. I'll also consider drilling a Festiva for the three bolt strut mount, if there may be an advantage to it. I just can't think of any.

The late '02/'03 Rio brake upgrade may be applicable to Aspire suspension, but I don't know of anyone doing it yet, or actually installing a Rio knuckle on a Festiva or Aspire. That may be the next step for modding. (Or not.)

While I'm at it, here is the latest link to my work for Aqua--painting her new Estrellas:

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

Karl
                      What differences if any did you note with the 01 kia rio struts Karl?

Comment

• My Rio struts feel about the same as the previous Aspire struts. I hadn't driven the original struts (on my '89L, now part dismantled) since around 2005 so I don't have anything like a side by side comparison. My automatic car (Luxstiva) has Aspire suspension too, but is not in any shape to do the comparison.

As far as I can tell, the Rio struts will ride about the same. Remember, I'm using the same cut Aspire front springs on the Rio struts.

Some day I'll be trying cut Rio springs up front, preferably on new Rio GR2s. I bet they'll be slightly stiffer, but I won't know until I actually do that mod.

Keep in mind the Rio front struts have these advantages over Aspire front struts:

-they're newer (if you put in used ones)
                        -they have real strut bearings instead of just plastic washers
                        -they should have slightly stiffer valving to go with cut Aspire or cut Rio springs

If you buy new GR2s for the Rio, they will be valved a bit stiffer than other stock struts.

Aqua rides fine on what I have on her now, so the Rio front struts with cut Aspire springs are doing fine for me. I just don't know exactly how they'd compare with Aspire front struts. I assume they are a bit stiffer valved, but I can't tell for sure. They are off an '02 Rio, so they aren't brand new.

I should be picking up some '04 Rio Cinco front struts in the next couple days. I might cut those springs down, reassemble, and pop them on to see how they compare. I then need to attend to Aqua's back end, because the cut Aspire rear springs allow some rubbing on my 175/70-13s now and then. I need heavier hauling capacity than that!

Karl

Comment

• So as far as you can tell the Rio & Aspire spring's are very comparable. Like as in spring height..... Thanks -

Comment

• I can't say that. I haven't cut and tried the Rio springs yet. When I do, I'll start by cutting 2 coils, I think.

I'll probably post pics of the '04 Rio front struts after I get them. I'll also measure the springs to compare with the uncut '02 springs I already have from my first set.

Nitro, do you want pics of uncut Aspire and Rio springs side by side? I might be able to do that. Right now I can just say that the Rio springs are visibly thicker.

Karl
                            Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Yes Karl a side by side Camparo is in order. The Rubber doughnuts fit perfect by the way. I'm thinking of trying the rio springs on my Aspire. And I'm REALLY CURIOUS about the Knuckles? Maybe they could be swapped?

Comment

• Kia Rio knuckles, brakes, etc. are all up for experimentation! '01 and '02 are most likely to fit; while better parts came along in later years (up to '05, the last year of the "third gen Festiva"). I think we can forget control arms from '03 on. The early control arms? I have no idea.

Now check this out:

Let's see how that goes!

Oh, I got my '04 Rio front struts today and met Super Dave (sold him my Metro wheels). These struts have the three bolt mounts. Pics this weekend, unless I'm unusually lazy. I'll be taking a micrometer and ruler to the springs to compare them with '02 springs.

Karl
                                Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-01-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X