January FOTM Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January FOTM Winner

The winner for January FOTM goes to...................

Freshtiva with his beautiful festdiva!!! Congratulations!!

Here is the entry one more time

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
    Festdiva:

Here is my write up on Festdiva adapted from a past FOTM Entry:

I bought “Festdiva” March 2006 shortly after I joined this forum. I’ve probably sunk over $3500 in this car. I’ve just now put 5,000 trouble free miles on it this summer (2007) so hopefully the pay off begins. Ive put a lot of work into this car but it’s now performing like a true festiva. I bought Festdiva mainly because it was low mileage, a GL, and has an excellent body and interior. If it wasn’t for those things I would have never invested so much in it. I like to keep track of the things I do to my cars for myself and future owner( heaven forbid). Below is notes I made for record keeping purpose.

Up to April 2006:

Bought the 1993GL with 115,446 miles on it. Soon found out it had a cracked head or block. Since it had a newer head on it, I figured someone had already tried changing the head so I assumed the block was cracked. (Later found it was the head }When I bought it there was no thermostat in it, the cooling fan was unhooked and the temperature gauge didn’t work. I hooked up fan and bought both a fan switch and a temp sending unit this got the fan and the temperature gauge working. Bought a new thermostat and radiator cap also but if car was started with thermostat in it would blow coolant out of the radiator if cap was off and out the overflow bottle with cap on. Definitely engine compression in cooling system. Posted a want add for replacement engine at Ford Festiva dot Com and found one in Minnesota from member IdealSociety with 124,000 on it ( see prints out of that posting on engine). Got the engine changed out.

Did the following to the car and motor during engine swap:

1. Replaced the original instrument cluster with a cluster with a factory tachometer, The new cluster had 118,454 miles on it so true car mileage is 3008 miles less then what is indicated.. True engine mileage is 5,546 more then indicated.
    2. Replace rear wheel bearings and grease seals, and a grease cap that was missing.
    3. Put in a deluxe dome light combo with map lights.
    4. Took out new thermostat, new radiator cap, new temperature sending unit, and new cooling fan switch from old engine and put on replacement engine.
    5. Replaced oil pan gasket on replacement engine, replaced valve cover gasket on replacement engine. Also put new water pump and timing belt on replacement engine.
    6. Drained trans-axle fluid and replaced
    7. Flush out radiator, heater core, and entire cooling system, added new antifreeze.
    8 degrease engine compartment which was oily from old motor.
    9. Waxed car and factory aluminum wheels and shampooed carpet and interior.
    10 bought a jack, jack handle and lug wrench and t- bolt which holds jack as these items were missing from car when purchased
    11 replaced intake manifold gasket
    12 changed oil and filter
    13. Cleaned engine bay
    14. Adjusted rear hatch latch to stop squeaking

I have driven the car about 100 miles since engine swap and everything works fine no leaks runs good.

Cost breakdown as follows ( see receipts)

Original purchase price $900.00
    Replacement motor $100.00
    Gas to pick up motor $168.00 ( 713 miles round trip in van )
    (Fluids) oil, trans, coolant $17.00
    Thermostat gasket $1.00
    Wheel bearing and seals $57.00
    Rad cap and thermostat $15.00
    Coolant sensor $17.00
    Temperature switch $35.00
    Wax and polish ,degreaser $20.00
    Manifold gasket and filter $11.00
    Engine paint $6.00
    Valve cover and oil pan
    Gasket $33.00
    Water pump and timing
    Belt $55.00

Labor help with motor swap $100.00
    Factory tach and dome lgt $75.00
    Grease cap $3.00
    Jack handle jack, lug wrench $25.00

Total $1638

The half shaft looked as if they had been replaced, boots still in good shape. Tie rod end ok, but control arms need to be replaced.

Upgrades and Improvements since April 2006
    ( not in order )

1.Discovered the rear torsion beam was bent Bought parts car for parts and replace rear torsion beam.
    2. Replaced front and rear struts and boots
    3. Repair frozen e-brake cable
    4. New brakes front and back
    5. Replaced control arms and outer tie rod ends
    6. Put factory alloys on Redford and bought new white 12” hubcaps I like the white on white look better then the silver alloys.
    7. Added NOS factory rear hatch spoiler.
    8. Added factory cargo cover and complete cover hardware ( very nice cover)
    9, Added factory cargo light and factory grounded hatch latch.
    10. Added rare factory orange clock and bezel
    11. Added equally rare orange factory fog light switch. ( no fog lamps yet )
    12. Repaired factory A/C ( the holes in the block where the a/c bracket mounts on the replacement engine did not have any good thread so I had to retap them. A separate nightmare on its own. I finally prevailed and it now has cold air.
    13. Replaced oil pan gasket
    14. Successfully Replaced oil pan gasket
    15. Added factory LX console, boot, retainer
    16. Added NOS factory shifter knob
    17. Replaced factory dual manual mirrors with 1990 LX power mirror and switch
    18. Purchased factory rear window with defrost and switch
    19 Added factory intermittent wiper module
    20. Complete change over from white to orange instrumentation including Tach cluster, combination switch, radio, lighter, clock, defrost switch, rear wiper switch, fog light switch, interior dimmer switch, power mirror switch, heater a/c controls.
    21. Removed after market radio/stereo and install factory unit ( like to find one with cassette.)
    22. Replaced cracked left rear tail light lens
    23 Replaced all four tires and got computer four wheel alignment
    24. Replaced right rear spindle
    25. Replaced both axle seals ( one was leaking )
    26. Replaced exhaust from cat back last month
    27. Added NOS factory hockey stick stripe kit
    28. Removed door panels lubed window inners and replace weather stripping on driver side window
    29. Replaced several minor misc interior parts when parts car yielded a better replacement
    30. Bought new battery.
    31. Upgraded to dome light with map lights
    32. Added factory mud flaps
    33. Bought new Ford floor mats.
    34. Installed new fan motor
    35. Added NOS festiva GL decal ( it had none )
    36. Added 1.3 L decals
    37. Added FordFestiva.Com decal
    38. Bought on ebay original owners manual with the blue cover and full paper work on sound system, tires, etc.
    39. Replace noisy blower motor
    40. Finally resolved persistent high idle and surging problem
    41. Many other minor things to numerous to mention
    42. Added chrome window and door handle trim

6/6/08
    In the past month I have done the following to Festdiva. Recharged A/C unit, flush out brake fluid and replaced. Put new tires on it. A belt shifted on the goodyears that were on it so I replaced all the tires. Festdiva will be getting one of the sets of 13 inch wheels Im working on currently.
    Present
    Haven’t done much to the car lately. It doesn’t need anything. I just drive it and do regular maintenance on it . It is a nice driving festiva. A minor squeak and a rattle or two on rough terrain but quiet on the highway.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Congrats Fresh on a well deserved win, that is a Great little car.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

congrads Freshdiva a very well deserved win Happy New Years
      Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Congrats Marcus !!! Well deserved win and a really nice car.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Hey cool, thanks everybody !! Diva will be happy now that she can join Freshtiva, Frankenstiva, and Linda blue as FOTM festys from the ranch. Need to work on Redford now I guess.

Last edited by freshtiva; 01-01-2011, 07:43 PM.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

^

congrats & that red car looks mean!
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

congrats on the win, car looks great! Now where do you park it I see a few things I need for mine.:evil2:ccasion5:
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Fresh, exactly how many Festivas do you even have?
                  Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                  89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                  Projects in the works:
                  84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Originally posted by DrMaxwellEdison View Post
                    Fresh, exactly how many Festivas do you even have?
                    you can never own enough festiva ownership leads to addiction / hoarding or collecting we have 1 now an are looking for #2 and another also there will be a fleet ....as for the ones fresh has from the pics ive seen they all rock
                    Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

she sure is a clean one..

Comment

Working...
                      X