Still leaking LOTS of oil after front end re-seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still leaking LOTS of oil after front end re-seal

So I just spent the past 6 weeks slowly and meticulously (mostly slowly) resealing and cleaning off the engine in my Festiva. I replaced the valve cover, cam and front main seals, oil pump seal, pan gasket, and dizzy o-ring. Looks like the thing is either still slinging oil from the crank, meaning that the crank sealing journal is so worn that I would have to sleeve it in order to fix it, or there is a leak somewhere above the water pump on the front side of the engine.

The water pump has been replaced by someone other than a professional, based on the gobs of RTV. Is there a place in that procedure somewhere that leaks oil if not sealed properly?

I'm looking at a new engine or a rebuild here on just 208,000 miles. It's kind of annoying.
    1997 Honda CRV
    1993 Jeep Wrangler
    1991 Ford Festiva

All I need now is a Chevy.

your head could be worn out where the cam seal sits, it gets heat baked more often. I that issue on my 96 aspire.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Could be the oil pan gasket itself. It took me two attemps (and gaskets) before I got it to seal properly. I'd suggest you check that out.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
        Could be the oil pan gasket itself. It took me two attemps (and gaskets) before I got it to seal properly. I'd suggest you check that out.
        I would suspect it, and it may still be leaking, but the oil is just getting too high up on the engine block for me to think the oil pan is the source. Oil is splashing all the way up to the exhaust manifold. I will give it a good look though. I've seen some stranger things.

As far as the cam seal goes, I just replaced it because I was there. Upon initial inspection though, there was no cast off from the cam pulley, so I don't think that one is a problem.
        Last edited by mephi; 05-25-2010, 07:37 PM.
        1997 Honda CRV
        1993 Jeep Wrangler
        1991 Ford Festiva

Comment

When you start to get frustrated, just remember this:

Real Fords don't LEAK oil.....they just mark their territory.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

my ford marks its territory, half a dozen at work, a few at walmart, and the paved driveway.

Comment

My big worry is that it leaks all over the alternator drive belt, timing belt, alternator, and exhaust. I don't want to have to keep replacing belts or worry about a car fire. The smoke coming off of the exhaust manifold and cat can get pretty thick.
              1997 Honda CRV
              1993 Jeep Wrangler
              1991 Ford Festiva

Comment

I had an engine that the crank snout was so worn and I replaced the seal twice and it still leaked. I bought a seal kit that had a repair sleeve and that fixed it.

here's a thread with the part #'s I used

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I agree totally...the oil pan gasket on our cars is a terrible repair. 3 times for me and I finally got it only because I had the engine out of the car. That part of the gasket/seal by the crank pulley sucks! As far as how far it is getting on the engine.....you have to remember that the oil is being thrown by the belt and pulley.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I'm thinking about just swapping in the 1.8L out of a Protege. I might even have one I can get a hold of cheap.
                    1997 Honda CRV
                    1993 Jeep Wrangler
                    1991 Ford Festiva

Comment

Do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by mephi View Post
                        I'm thinking about just swapping in the 1.8L out of a Protege. I might even have one I can get a hold of cheap.
                        Now you're thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy!
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                          I agree totally...the oil pan gasket on our cars is a terrible repair. 3 times for me and I finally got it only because I had the engine out of the car. That part of the gasket/seal by the crank pulley sucks! As far as how far it is getting on the engine.....you have to remember that the oil is being thrown by the belt and pulley.
                          so any suggestions to making this a "one-time successful" oil pan gasket change?

Mephi, did you ever figure out exactly what the issue was?

as far as oil pan gaskets go, I'm going to start a thread in maintenance so people can find these tips easier
                          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                          X