I have done it now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have done it now!

I put off trying a B3 head on a B6 engine.... and found a deal on an entire B6 engine. OR SO IT SEEMS... read on:

Looking at the ID plate on the block it says "B3"! The top of the 3 looks like a "7" and the bottom looks like a "3". Does that sound familiar?

The guy said this came out of a 1990 Mazda 323. It has a 5-speed with hydrolic clutch. It might be a G series, I will have to find a mark.
    -----------------

So I am back to square one. Should I try to put this block/ head with my cable 4 speed? That is what I want to do. I prefer the smaller engine for economy. Should I?

How much cost/work to use hydrolic clutch, more than swapping transmissions?

There are some differences in harness connectors, and the intake is routed to the side - not across the valve cover.
    Other differences that I will probably realize as I research some more here

Thanks, and remember the Kool-aid is for members...

-------------------------------

1988 Mazda 323 hatch (festiva's ugly cousin)
    Last edited by grey; 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM.

None of the usdm 323 had the g-series trans so still probally he f. The 1990 323 b6 is slightly different than the earlier b6
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Yes car1, I have not learned the difference between early late B6 8 valve sohc. ?

However, this one says B3!

Oh. and the injectors are purple on the engine marked B3.

The transmission looks to be the same as on my 96 protege, that is why I say it is hydrolic clutch - the lever is on the underside not the topside. It might be a F series. i cn look closer into that

I might have some JDM thing with who knows what. The guy said it was a B6 but the nameplate says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
        None of the usdm 323 had the g-series trans
        So it was the protege about 93-94 that had the g series?

Comment

It is an f series. I found the markings

I would like to keep it if I can make an adapter

Comment

you should be able to use the f-series I think damkid had one in his car.
            Originally posted by grey View Post
            So it was the protege about 93-94 that had the g series?
            True some protege's had the g-series, but I said 323's which in the usa only had the 1.6 w/ f-series, while canada got a version w/ a bp & such
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

This is what the designation looks like on an 89 b6 sohc head:
              That's next to spark plug #1 by the way.
              Last edited by iceracerdude; 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM.
              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

wow, you made a header.

yes i have a b-6 head to compare. it says 630 also. There are two oil return holes in the b3 head that are not present on the b6 head.

I think I have a b3 head on this block marked b3. There are some smaller casting numbers (or symbols) on it.

If any of this sounds familiar, then comment...

1.Now I have to start figuring how to make the harness(s) fit. I only have the '88 mazda ecu.

2.The distributers are different. the B3 came with one marked Mitsubishi. I think the wiring connectors are different. The b6 will fit into the b3 head just barely. The slot/tang are a tight fit but it looked doable.

3. the injectors connector is probably different. i may run into some trouble here as i want to use the entire B3 intake. I have not access to B3 information. I dont even know what car this came from. Supposedly a 1990 Mazda 323.

thanks guys.

Comment

On that distrib issue, you know the tang is "offset" it's not actually in the middle of the shaft by design right? Both shafts on both distrib should be the same fit. It's the electronics that are different is all. As far as the rest of it goes, you have to decide which
                  electronics you are commiting to, that will decide the distrib, the maf/vaf, and tps configs as well as injector plugs. I have a spare very fresh fuel rail from a b3 I don't need anymore,
                  pm me if you can use it.

Here's the whole "header"... but I tend to think of it as a turbo manifold ;-)
                  Click to enlarge this one:
                  Last edited by iceracerdude; 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM.
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Alright, I should have been more specific.... the Mitsubishi dizzy fit loosely into the b3 cam whereas the dizzy off the ('88) 323 B6 fit well. There was actually play in the mitsu dizzy to cam relationship. There was also endplay in the Mitsu dizzy itself.

Both of these are vacuum advance. The internals of the dissy's are quite different. The two coils look different.

This engine came with alot of sensors and wiring. I will get some pictures when I borrow a camera.

Thanks alot. Is there a way to identify this engines application with the serial number? I will probably need to find the ecm for it....

Thanks
                    Last edited by grey; 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

the head on the new engine says "838", iceracer

I guess the guy shorted me .2 liters.

Comment

Working...
                      X