No announcement yet.

Attention! Carb cars! Look! Important!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention! Carb cars! Look! Important!

Have you owned your carb car just a couple of years, or have you replaced your fuel pump?

Take a close look at your fuel pumps and identify which you may have on your car. I have now replaced three, and never paid any attention until now......
    The replacement pumps I have bought in the last five years turn out to be different than the earlier ones I have bought. The difference? The height of the two towers located at the top of the pumps. This applies to different brands also. I have pumps from Master, Airtex, and Beck Arnley that have higher towers that WILL!!! and DID!!! rub on the air cleaner until a hole develops causing a fuel leak!!!!!

CHECK YOUR FUEL PUMP TO ENSURE IT DOES NOT CONTACT THE AIR CLEANER!!!!

Look at the pictures
    If you have this type fuel pump with the tall towers, the air cleaner has an ear that comes in contact with one of the towers, and will in time, wear a hole in it casing a SERIOUS fuel spray right above the cat!

I have checked spare air cleaners to ensure that it was not just one with a kink, etc, and they ALL contact the pump!

CHECK YOURS!

Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Great call! :-)

Could the air cleaner housing be modified so that it doesn't contact the fuel pump?
    Last edited by TominMO; 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

That is what I am doing right now. I will post pictures later today of how much to remove etc.
      Have owned 9 so far
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

Hmm. Interesting. Never would have thought of that. When I got batstiva's new one, I took the old one with me, just to be sure the new part was the same. Always a crap shoot around here going into a McParts place looking for Festy parts. :banghead: *cough* rear wheel bearings *cough*

Don't remember the brand that I ended up with, but it was a perfect match to my old one. Good eye there, Mike. Definitely let us know how modding the air cleaner housing works, cause my guess is, not too long from now, we'll likely be stuck with the one or two new fuel pumps that don't quite fit right.
        Last edited by batstiva; 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Take a look at how much difference there is in the height of the towers between the two pumps. Now that I start thinking about it, I do remember thinking to myself while changing one how much further the hoses stretched to reach this style pump also.
          Have owned 9 so far

Comment

I removed the whole tab off the Reed Valve casting, and THEN set two spacers I had under the Valve Cover mounting bolt. It now has clearance that suits me, but goes to prove just how much had been contact with the pump!
            It had eaten a chunk out of the housing over the last year or so since I did it. It did not really have any resistance against it to indicate that it was in conatct with the pump while you were reinstalling the air cleaner, but actually was FORCING down on the pump tower when reinstalling it. I believe what threw me off was how the air cleaners have to be forced into position to start with because of the exhaust bypass tubes working against you while you line up the bolt and nut that locate it in place.
            I never paid much attention to this because of the strut brace I have on top also. It covered up a great deal of the area, blocking a clear view of the pump.
            Have owned 9 so far

Comment

gee, i don't know what to say................

except

FOCUS the camera please!

I am the original

Comment

Here's a nice alternative to modding the stock intake. These are pretty popular here in the Philippines for the carbureted Prides. I got one on my 98 GTX. They're made by Simota which also has a US website (http://www.simotausa.com). I'm sure it can be easily ordered if you can't find the in accessory shops. The part numbers are W-008A and W-008B (just different size holes for the carb).

Comment

Working...
                X